Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Turkey brining - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2021, 10:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Spanish View Post
The pan drippings have been reduced while leaving in all the salt it had to begin with. It wouldn't have tasted as rich, but adding a lot more roux and liquid would have made it less salty. This is why you only salt something that is being reduced after it's done reducing. I've never wet brined anything. Dry brining works for me. I season more heavily under the skin and lightly on the outside of the skin. Leave it uncovered in the fridge for at least 24hrs.
Agreed, I've quit wet brining fish. Now I just use 2 parts brown sugar to 1 part pickling salt, rub it on and leave overnight or as much as 24hrs. Trout and salmon I like hickory chips or pellets.
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2021, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

For one thing the turkey cannot be pre-brined, and most are. Butterballs are. You have to specifically use an un-brined bird. Maybe they did and did something else wrong?
Old 11-29-2021, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walteye View Post
I went over my son's house for Thanksgiving-he smoked a turkey and my DIL cooked one in the oven. My son brined both turkeys with a store bought brining kit. This was the first time I ever had brined turkey and both turkeys were very moist-but to me both were very salty. The pan dripping gravy was very salty also.
Is this something that is normal when you brine a turkey or was something done wrong? He brined both turkeys overnight and rinsed each before cooking.
Walteye
Been there, done that. I use PSseasoning's Maple Cure, a mixture of salt, sodium Nitrite, and Maple. First time it stated to mix 1# to a gallon of water, then inject and cure for about 4 - 6 hours. Well I cured overnight as the turkey takes about 9 hours to cook at 250 in the smoker, dang was it salty. The next time I doubled the water, 1# to 2 gallons, injected the turkey with about a quart of the brine then let it soak for 24 hours. Rinsed it off good and smoked it. Thing came out beautiful. The cure gives the turkey a ham like flavor.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki View Post
For one thing the turkey cannot be pre-brined, and most are. Butterballs are. You have to specifically use an un-brined bird. Maybe they did and did something else wrong?

This

Most turkeys come pre-brined.... 5-10% solution added, then added brine on top= salty.

PS pork tends tends to pre-brined too
Old 11-29-2021, 08:56 PM
Keeper

Agree that the turkey probably contained up to 5 percent injected salty brine from the processing center. Although you guys know I am a pork expert, it is what we do with our pork tenderloins so my guess is they do the same at the turkey processing plant
Old 11-30-2021, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

We brined a turkey for the first time this year.
It was apple juice based, with a small amount of salt, some liquid smoke and a couple of other items. We brined for 15 hours in the liquid.

Then, after bringing the turkey into the house did a very good rinse on both the inside and outside of the turkey.

We cooked it in the oven for the correct amount of time and the bird came out wonderfully well with no salty taste, very very juice and overall - just a wonderful bite.

This was close to the recipe that we used to brine the turkey:

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...9-3f421686af31

Give it a go, I expect that you will like it.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:31 AM
Wallhanger

A good bit of info on brining and turkey prep/cooking is at https://amazingribs.com/

Al