Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Props Merc vs Yamaha - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 04-06-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Props Merc vs Yamaha

Comparing the Tempest to the Yamaha Pro series, which is a better prop. For overall performance, not looking to win any races.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 09:51 AM

Default RE: Props Merc vs Yamaha

Any opinions??
Old 04-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Wallhanger

It depends on the boat/motor and setup. Prop selection is 50% science, 50% voodoo witchcraft. You have to give the nod to Mercury when it comes to experience in prop design, but the only way to know for sure is to try both. Good luck.

Boat Nut
Old 04-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Keeper

Boatnut has it right, you will have to try them to see which performs best for your situation. The tempest is slightly larger diameter and seems to bit a little harder in most cases. I have found the tempest to run approximately 100 to 150 rpm lower than the same pitch pro series. So for an example, say your running a 21P pro series and when you run WOT your rpm is a little high and at the same time it's not high enough to turn a 23P pro series. You might be able to run the 21P tempest, keep your rpm where it should be, and maybe even pick a mph or so. Every boat and motor combination is different. That's why the only way to find out is to try it.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:55 AM

Boat is a 619 w/200 hpdi 21 pro series prop. BUT its only getting slightly over 50 mph at 5200 RPM's. I just thought it should do a little better. Its the first Yamaha engine I've ever owned,ran Mercs the last 20 plus yrs. Our last rig was a 620 w/225 Opti and it would run mid 50"s, once in a while 57 with a 21 pitch Mirage plus.Rpms were 5400 give or take a little depending on load and conditions.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Unlogged T-Mac

I have a lot of experience with both. On certain boat, engine combinations, the Pro-series is best...and on others the Tempest is best.
Getting the proper rpms is the biggest thing.
The Pro Series will turn a little easier (a hundred or two more rpms) than the same pitch in a Tempest.... on the same rig.

Both are good props... but the smallest pitch Pro series (for large engines) is 21 pitch. That means there are a lot of boat/motor combinations that won't be able to use them.
At least with Tempest, there is a 19 pitch available.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:43 PM
mike s.

hey boatman, i have the same boat and motor, also a 21" pro prop. but am getting much better numbers and performance. 5500-5700 rpm and 54-57 mph gps. your numbers match what i had with a 23" pro prop that the motor came with originally. pull the prop and check the stamped number, should say 21m. otherwise, try trimming up a tad more. if everythung checks out next i'd have the dealer check the motor, maybe fouled plug, or something. i see your in roseau,minn , i run leech lake so elevation isn't the issue. by the way, performance was much improved once i got the rpms up where it should be. good luck. mike s.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Keeper

Are you guy's operating at different altitudes? That might also explain some differences.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:15 PM

I will be taking it out again this weekend(sturgeon fishing) and play around with it some more. I am running a 21 pitch. Can the trim settings be set on this engine?? I adjusted my settings on my Merc to get it where I wanted it. But this engine is a different animal.