Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Leaky rivets - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-05-2021, 08:13 PM
Wallhanger

Default Leaky rivets

What do you do with your leaky rivets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2021, 08:27 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye571 View Post
What do you do with your leaky rivets?
Drill 'em out and replace 'em. The reason they start to leak is because they came loose. And the reason they come loose is because of corrosion on the shank of the rivet. Aluminum has its own protective film (aluminum oxide) that prevents corrosion. But when two pieces of aluminum work against one another it runs thru the oxide and into the fresh aluminum and it corrodes.

So the only real repair is to center punch and drill the rivet, buck new ones and then paint the repair area with zinc chromate prior to your top coat (if it's painted). If it's bare aluminum where the repair is made, just leave it and let it develop its natural oxide coating.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:25 AM
Wallhanger

That's good advice from C&K -- I looked into this a couple years ago and found several how to videos on YouTube.
Good luck
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT -- sold
2018 Ranger RP190, 115 Yamaha VMax SHO -- sold

Boatless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2021, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Walleye,
In addition:

You may have a design or structural issue going on.

If you find that you have a particular area of your boat that has a series of loose rivets in a particular area - that area may need some reinforcement.

Loose rivets are normally caused by the rough life that they may lead. i.e. with the working of the hull and the pounding of the waves - in an area of the boat that may be a bit light on reinforcement you may have any area of your hull that is flexing as a result of working the water where you boat.

So, if you indeed find that you have a particular area of your boat that has number of loose rivets, consider drilling out all of the rivets in the area, and manufacturing stiffening plates or braces and then using longer rivets when you reassemble your boat - put the boat back together with the addition of the additional bracing. Also, in cases like this, it is not a bad idea to put sealant in between the current hull and the brace parts to avoid any sort of leakage after the repair.

Best wishes.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:05 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Walleye,
Also, in cases like this, it is not a bad idea to put sealant in between the current hull and the brace parts to avoid any sort of leakage after the repair.
Yep, after working on airplanes for years, aluminum boat repairs come as second nature. When ever I replace hull sheets or install bracing I bed the the two pieces with Marine-Tex to prevent aluminum to aluminum contact. Buck new rivets and it's a permanent repair.

The boats are normally built at least cost to a price point. Not necessarily the top-of-the-line assembly methods which would make the boat so expensive nobody would buy it.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:01 PM
Wallhanger

If you can get at them.... First step would be to tighten the rivet up. Takes two guys.. one taps lightly, a couple of times on one end ..while the other guy bucks on the other end of said rivet.

Worst case.. drill the rivet out and replace. One guy taps.... one guy bucks.

If you can't get at the rivet to perform the above procedure.. There are closed end, (sealed) rivets that can be used.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
If you can get at them.... First step would be to tighten the rivet up. Takes two guys.. one taps lightly, a couple of times on one end ..while the other guy bucks on the other end of said rivet.

Worst case.. drill the rivet out and replace. One guy taps.... one guy bucks.

If you can't get at the rivet to perform the above procedure.. There are closed end, (sealed) rivets that can be used.
An "F" drill bit and 1/4 closed end rivet does a great job. Only suggestion is get the closed aluminum rivet with a steel mandrel. They pulled the metal together better than the aluminum mandrel.

https://www.rivetsonline.com/blind-r...blind-rivets#1

Marty
Old 05-06-2021, 07:08 PM
Keeper

Actually, do NOT use pop rivets anywhere on the hull. They are ok to rivet your deck hatch hinge to a bulkhead, but that's about all they're good for and they come loose with time even in that application.

I've never seen anybody beat (or tap) on aluminum rivets with a hammer, unless they don't know what they are doing. That's an excellent way to over-flatten or split the shop head by not striking it square.

You set aluminum rivets with a 3 or 5 lb bucking bar (depending on the size of the rivet) on the tail end and a air hammer with a rivet bit on the head end. It's important that the rivet bit fits the head of the rivet. When setting a rivet the shank is loose in the hole by a few thousandths, it has to expand (from compression against the bucking bar) to completely fill the hole and the finished buck tail (or shop head) must be 1.5x the diameter of the shank.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:46 PM

Trade it in to a dealer who sells what ever brand you have.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:19 AM
Wallhanger

As Tmac noted the blind ,sealed, aluminum rivet works well. I used these on my Lund Barons hull and they worked perfectly no leaks. I did add 5200 to the rivets stem for added insurance. If I could have used buck rivets I would have but i wasn't tearing up my floor and removing foam for 4 rivets. The aluminum blind rivets made it an easy,effective fix.
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Lowrance Carbon 16
Lowrance HDS Carbon 12
Lowrance autopilot
Navico Precision-9
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3in1 and HDI
Airmar tm150
2 84" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees