Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Five minute EV charging? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2021, 04:35 AM
Wallhanger

Default Five minute EV charging?

Go Boilermakers!

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Purdue University engineers have invented a new, patent-pending charging station cable that would fully recharge certain electric vehicles in under five minutes – about the same amount of time it takes to fill up a gas tank.

Today, chargers are limited in how quickly they can charge an EV’s battery due to the danger of overheating. To charge an EV faster, a higher current needs to travel through the charging cable. The higher the current, the greater amount of heat that must be removed to keep the charging cable operational. The cooling systems that chargers currently use remove only so much heat.

Using an alternative cooling method, Purdue researchers designed a charging cable that can deliver a current 4.6 times that of the fastest available EV chargers on the market today by removing up to 24.22 kilowatts of heat. The project was funded by a research and development alliance between Ford Motor Co. and Purdue.

Electric vehicle charging time can vary widely today, from 20 minutes at a station alongside a roadway to hours using an at-home charging station. Wait times and charger location are both cited as major sources of anxiety for people who are considering electric vehicle ownership.

“My lab specializes in coming up with solutions for situations where the amounts of heat that are produced are way beyond the capabilities of today’s technologies to remove,” said Issam Mudawar, Purdue’s Betty Ruth and Milton B. Hollander Family Professor of Mechanical Engineering.

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele...le-design.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2021, 05:43 AM
foxy

How will this effect battery longevity.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:44 AM
Slot Fish

On an SAE forum I am part of, this came up just last week. This is MW rate charging which is what is needed to meet customer needs for the US. The interesting part is that the heat removal rate is the equivalent to running a 32.5hp fan or the heat rejection needed for a 100hp engine. It would be interesting to know the energy needed to run the cooling system for that charging system and if the waste heat can be used to heat homes or businesses or just add to warming the outdoors...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2021, 06:00 AM
Wallhanger

That's a game changer for me -- sitting in the car for almost an hour to charge up stopped me from considering an EV. That Mustang is starting to look better.
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT -- sold
2018 Ranger RP190, 115 Yamaha VMax SHO -- sold

Boatless
Old 11-16-2021, 06:59 AM
Wallhanger

How is the cable in the car cooled? I have no idea how those are routed from the connection point on the car to the battery, or how long they might be, but it seems to me that cable would need cooling also.

Read your owner's manual.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
How will this effect battery longevity.
It will affect our present batteries adversely.
Of course we presently don't have the ability to put out enough power to charge a large increase in EV's anyway. And that is with coal power! Science will continue to come up with new ideas, but we still need to do a great deal of catching up with the possibilities. Reality sucks sometimes. But it is still reality. JMO Bob
Old 11-16-2021, 07:32 AM
Keeper

An internal combustion vehicle and a battery vehicle both require power. The i.c. vehicle creates power within itself and your control, and the battery vehicle requires power (electricity) to be created at a site outside of your vehicle and control. If you put me on odd or even days for lawn watering restrictions; what makes one think charging restrictions will not be a huge concern in the near future? Whether it charges in 5 minutes or 20 minutes should not be anyone’s main concern, unless you don’t care about your travel schedule.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:20 AM
Wallhanger

Wow, boiling liquid cooling heat exchange, not new at all except the application to a 2400 amp extension cord. Somebody better start building real infrastructure, like 1000mw+ power plants on street corners for the coming EV juice thirst. The antique undersized grid will also require some serious Geritol. The electrification of America part 2, wow. Hope our grandkids appreciate how their money is going to be spent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2021, 08:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiojmj View Post
Wow, boiling liquid cooling heat exchange, not new at all except the application to a 2400 amp extension cord. Somebody better start building real infrastructure, like 1000mw+ power plants on street corners for the coming EV juice thirst. The antique undersized grid will also require some serious Geritol. The electrification of America part 2, wow. Hope our grandkids appreciate how their money is going to be spent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I agree, the EV folks are talking a good game but the cost is going to be astronomical. On a side note, every charging station I have seen to this point has been you pull your car straight into the stall and plug in. What will you do with your EV truck and trailer, leave it hang out and back out of the stall? Or do you think these high voltage stations will be added into existing gas pump islands?

Glad I'll never have to own a EV.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:42 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
I agree, the EV folks are talking a good game but the cost is going to be astronomical. On a side note, every charging station I have seen to this point has been you pull your car straight into the stall and plug in. What will you do with your EV truck and trailer, leave it hang out and back out of the stall? Or do you think these high voltage stations will be added into existing gas pump islands?

Glad I'll never have to own a EV.
The ones they installed here in my small town are in an old car pool parking lot at the gas station. You can easily pull in next to it with boat or trailer in tow and charge. Enough room for two to do it. Though, in the year or so that it's been there, I have never seen a single vehicle there charging.