Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mice issues - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2021, 11:17 PM
Slot Fish

Smile

The tin can and bucket method works great! We call it the wheel of death!. And by the way RV antifreeze does not freeze until it get to @about -20 or so (hence the name). Automotive antifreeze also works well, just keep it away from your dog.

I am highly allergic to cats. I get a kicking sensation when I am near them.
Lowrance HDS Live 9
Lowrance Elite7ti
Interstate batteries
Offshore planer boards
Mountain Dew bottle out back riggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2021, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

Step 1, seal up entry points. I they can fit their nose in it they can fit their body in it. Remove what they are after. No crumbs or exposed food. Seal everything, even bread in plastic containers ( when I was in school it turns out I was eating a loaf of bread from one end and nice were eating it from the other, not nice ) Only then can you start exterminating them. Steel wool and spray foam. Pack with steel wool and pump spray foam until it comes out the other side.
Best of luck!

Crestliner Sportfish 1750
Johnzuki 115
GMC Sierra
Fish in the box!
Beer on ice.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:19 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper911 View Post
The tin can and bucket method works great! We call it the wheel of death!. And by the way RV antifreeze does not freeze until it get to @about -20 or so (hence the name). Automotive antifreeze also works well, just keep it away from your dog.

Disagree on the RV antifreeze. It freezes or gets slushy at probably 20 degrees. That's a positive 20 degrees, not negative 20. In the slush, mice will not drown and they will be able to climb out of the bucket.

Last edited by stout93; 11-27-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2021, 10:27 AM
Minnow

My insulation guy swears that closed cell foam will repel mice, they hate it. Isn't the same for open cell foam insulation, don't know why. I was skeptical, but I have never had a mouse in my garage attached to the house or in my separate workshop, getting on six years since we built. For those suggesting foam in holes/openings you might want to check on that.

I had a travel trailer for awhile, tons of mice in that thing, tried RV antifreeze in the spinning can bucket (Love that design, have caught a bunch of them in that), but the mice wouldn't come to the bucket EVER when that was the drown fluid. I'm assuming they didn't like the smell. Need to keep that in mind, maybe use another solution for drowning them. I did have water freeze in the bucket once, had tons of mice feces on top of the ice but no bodies, found they can jump about 15 inches or so.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:33 PM
Minnow

Post Antifreeze mixtures

As some have mentioned antifreeze will indeed freeze if it is used by itself. It must be mixed with water. When used by itself, it actually has a freezing point of around 10F. However, when mixed with water at a 50/50 ratio, it can withstand temperatures as cold as -35F before freezing.

I know this from experience. Years ago I worked in the artic (within 100 miles of the magnetic north pole) where the average temperatures were -30F to -70F. We would receive 45 gallon barrels of antifreeze that we would have to thaw out first and then mix with water before adding to various engine radiators.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:29 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdconins View Post
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has had some experience eradicating mice from your home. The deal is lately I have been trapping a lot of mice in my basement utility room which is not finished. Probably about 10 in the last four weeks and in that room is sump crock where some even baby's fell into and drown. I ended up calling a exterminator who came out and set bait traps all over my house including the attic. Seems they can climb just about everything and both he and I walked around the perimeter of my home to find some areas where they may possibly have been getting in now that the colder weather is here in Ohio.
So I have heard use steel wool but that rusts but he suggest "stuff it" but I am reading through google maybe a foam type spray would work better.
Do you guys have any suggestions that might work better? I know I can get an honest answer here rather than someone selling me something that wont work. Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
John
I have found that placing pieces of Irish Spring bath soap around my new shed has kept the mice out for two years. . Not sure if it has any effect in spaces already occupied by the mice. I have heard it did not work then . Also try mothballs'
Old 11-29-2021, 08:23 PM
Wallhanger

A friend of mine has these placed throughout the house and says he never, ever has a mouse problem. Yes, pricey but no fuss, no muss; never have to bait or empty out.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...UaAv5aEALw_wcB
Old 12-01-2021, 04:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper911 View Post

Way faster and easier than traps, but you still need to try and seal their entrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2021, 03:06 PM
Minnow

Default Update

Thanks to all that responded, I have ordered the copper stuff fit along with the kit and it appears the heard is thinning. Got two more this past weekend. The exterminator guy placed the black traps all over my house and is due back next Tuesday.
I am amused by what the guy at home depot told me after he told me they don't carry the kits in store but it would have to be ordered online. He said you don't really need those kits as the mice move south as the freeze progresses which causes them to go to Cincinnati and he was serious. Now I can see why since they have a much better football team then the clowns. Thought this would be the year but Bakers commercials are cute to. Oh well, next year next year broken record
Thanks again fellow Walleye guys.
JD
Old 12-01-2021, 04:04 PM
Wallhanger

Don't waste your time with peanut butter, the really small mice will lick it off the pan without setting off the trap. Smash a raisin or craisin on the pan and they'll have to wotk enough to set the trap off.