Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Furniture - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2021, 11:10 PM
Keeper

We went through the Slumberland phase and won't go back. Cheap crap and we can sure tell the difference. Good enough for starting out when you're young but it won't last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2021, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

If you go with Leather furniture, be sure that it is top grain - real leather material all of the way through.

There is a lot of furniture out there that is actually PU leather - which is an imitation leather and over time will lose the top side of the material and one will be left with a splotchy piece of furniture with big bare spots on it.

Top grain leather, with care and the routine use of leather cleaner and leather conditioner will last for many many years.

I know that we had one of our grand fathers leather chair in our home growing up. I suspect that the chair was 60-70 years old and had lots of use, but the leather was still tough, strong and looked just fine.

Best wishes

p.s.
For ourselves, my wife and I only buy leather furniture and have only leather seating in our vehicle. We have had a lot of pets over the years, and shedding animals are easy to clean with leather and very very long lasting. Also, if anything and everything is spilled on leather, it just takes a good clean up with leather cleaner and no damage and the furniture will look like new.
Also, with very young children and very old adults - accidents happen that are easy to clean up with a leather cover on any piece of furniture.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:55 AM
Keeper

As long as you can afford it, have it delivered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2021, 09:12 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post
I bet you'd notice the difference 10 years from now.
Why? Are you implying that furniture from Slumberland or HOM furniture breaks down structurally?

Our current couch in the living room is probably 20 years old. I don't notice any difference.

If you think 'cheaper' couches only last 10 years, then buy a new one every 10 years for $1000. If you're 50 years old or older, which I believe most posters on here are, you'll be saving money versus buying one for $3400...
Old 11-27-2021, 10:18 AM
crazyboatguy

I just bought a new leather couch, I like it. if it wears out after 15 years I'll get another one.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:40 AM
Minnow

[QUOTE=REW;6613520]If you go with Leather furniture, be sure that it is top grain - real leather material all of the way through.

There is a lot of furniture out there that is actually PU leather - which is an imitation leather and over time will lose the top side of the material and one will be left with a splotchy piece of furniture with big bare spots on it.

Top grain leather, with care and the routine use of leather cleaner and leather conditioner will last for many many years.

We bought a leather couch and loveseat about five years ago, found that we were misled about it being all prime leather. For instance, the material on the sides of the cushions was some cheap leather, it's cracked clear through now in numerous spots, doesn't show but feels cheap if your hand slides between the cushions, just makes me mad. Also, with leather, if you need a heating pad for a sore back ALWAYS place a towel or such between the hot pad and the leather, it looks like crap after it curdles from the heat. Luckily, was the wife that did that one.

Last edited by icspinner; 11-27-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Default a little bit off the subject, but

One year ago we bought a new mattress for the master bedroom and really like it. So, a month ago we ordered the same new mattress for the guest bedroom. It is now priced at $3600 including tax. That is $900 more than one year ago. Dang......

And we still have not received it. Maybe the old mattress isn't as uncomfortable as I thought.

Like others, we have some furniture that is chasing twenty some years old and starting to look pretty tired. Have been looking at updating and have seen about the same inflation there, too.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 11-27-2021, 05:35 PM
Wallhanger

Another idea is to check Craigs List or your local Buy Sell Trade groups on Facebook. I couldn't stomach the prices of new furniture either and stalked those sites until I found what I wanted, which wasn't too long. Scored a flawless, barely used Lay Z Boy sofa that retailed for $1500 for $175. Elderly guy who's wife had recently passed and wanted to replace all the furniture and wanted it gone NOW.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Yep, in May we purchased new Flexsteel power sofa and loveseat with upgraded cup holder, etc.. Not cheap. The store had a special - they paid the tax, and free delivery and set up.

Prices have about doubled in 10 years since we last purchased similar non-powered leather sofa and loveseat. We figured we'd own this furniture for a very long time, and it is well worth it for comfort and quality.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:02 PM
Minnow

We bought top grain leather couch, loveseat and ottoman set 5 yrs ago . Was $3600 then. Still hate the set. Terrible uncomfortable from day 1! Still looks good tho. I’d say keep it if you can afford it, cancel it if you’re gonna have to have an ulcer over it.