Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Automatic boat latch - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 03-29-2018, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Buck View Post
Just put one on my Skeeter in the garage, seemed to go on easy but the jaws will not open sitting in the garage.
Jaws will not open when the bow eye is tight forward against the metal part that locks the jaws shut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2018, 08:49 AM
Wallhanger

Do you have to replace the eye on your boat to an extended(?) one?

Crestliner Sportfish 1750
Johnzuki 115
GMC Sierra
Fish in the box!
Beer on ice.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfish1 View Post
Do you have to replace the eye on your boat to an extended(?) one?
Negative, at least not with my Lund and Shorelander trailer. A simple call to Drotto would clear it up for you.

andersaki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Slot Fish

Just hoping I installed it right. I did move the wench stand ahead about 2in. to make room for the Drotto. It does look like the last time I loaded the boat last year the front might be off just a little so maybe that is one reason the jaws won't open?
Old 03-31-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Buck View Post
Just hoping I installed it right. I did move the wench stand ahead about 2in. to make room for the Drotto. It does look like the last time I loaded the boat last year the front might be off just a little so maybe that is one reason the jaws won't open?
The jaws close when the bow eye contacts the face of the jaw,,,, and continues forward, rotating the jaws closed. The closing action (rotation) occurs because the bow eye is moving forward.

The reverse has to happen for the jaws to open.

The bow eye has to move away from the jaws as the jaws are opening. This action happens easily when actually launching the boat.

If the boat is sitting on the trailer and the bow eye is tight to the jaws, the jaws WILL NOT OPEN. Simple as that.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
The jaws close when the bow eye contacts the face of the jaw,,,, and continues forward, rotating the jaws closed. The closing action (rotation) occurs because the bow eye is moving forward.

The reverse has to happen for the jaws to open.

The bow eye has to move away from the jaws as the jaws are opening. This action happens easily when actually launching the boat.

If the boat is sitting on the trailer and the bow eye is tight to the jaws, the jaws WILL NOT OPEN. Simple as that.
I just went out to the garage and pulled the lever on my Drotto. When I pulled the lever there was an audible "click and the jaws opened, not very much, but enough for the eye to clear. I would guess that when the boat backs out and the bow eye moves away from the Drotto, the jaws will open more to facilitate loading. I was then able to close the jaws and reset the mechanism with my thumb and forefinger. I'm starting the third season on mine this Spring and it has worked flawlessly.

andersaki
Old 03-31-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersaki View Post
I just went out to the garage and pulled the lever on my Drotto. When I pulled the lever there was an audible "click and the jaws opened, not very much, but enough for the eye to clear. I would guess that when the boat backs out and the bow eye moves away from the Drotto, the jaws will open more to facilitate loading. I was then able to close the jaws and reset the mechanism with my thumb and forefinger. I'm starting the third season on mine this Spring and it has worked flawlessly.

andersaki
YES, exactly, it does not take much clearance for the jaws to open. When going down the road some boats will gravitate ever so slightly forward, while others will gravitate a bit backward. I'm talking spark plug gap, .030 of an inch.

This will be the difference and the determining factor if one can release the jaws or not release the jaws, when the boat is sitting stationary in the garage.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:49 PM
Slot Fish

Thumbs up

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:43 PM
Minnow

Any input on the ramp-n-clamp brand?
Old 04-26-2018, 07:05 PM
Slot Fish

I think I need to invest in one of these either the Drotto or Ramp n Clamp. I thinking the Ramp n Clamp appears to have more rubber cushion for alignment and better price.

Hmmm definitely looks like a worth while investment.
(1) Helix 9 in the bow
Ulterra 80 24v I-pilot Link Bluetooth