Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Prairie dog hunting - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Small Game and Birds

Old 05-24-2016, 10:36 PM
Wallhanger

Default Prairie dog hunting

Hello: My friends son is graduating high school and his son wants to go prairie dog hunting for part of his graduation gift. They have never gone prairie dog hunting before but are looking for a place to go. South Dakota ? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Good Luck this season. O - R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 06:16 AM
Slot Fish

Pm me your #, I know a guy guy who is infested w/ gophers and prairie dogs. he might let you.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:42 AM
Keeper

I was going to suggest you put an ad in craigslist for Rapid City SD area. I see a few other ads already, but most are looking for a free hunt. There is one ad for a lodging and hunt includes a guide, LOL, you don't need a guide, this isn't rocket science. Some of the indian reservations out there have a fee for shooting for Pdogs. They like to require a guide too, it keeps them employed.

I have a place I go for free but the rancher started poisoning them and there aren't enough to make a day of it much less a weekend of shooting. I found a website once and saved it in case my free spot dried up. Google Dog-Gone Safaris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Keeper

I know you are looking for a plan but as been said it is not rocket science. It's been too long since I went to give any hot spots. Plague wipes out huge areas that once were loaded w dogs. Find a federal grasslands ranger office stop in and chat they'll point you to places that are infested and you can buy a map w federal grass lands marked. We've had several ranchers approach us at gas stations and at breakfast places with "you look like dog hunters wanna come shoot some of mine?" Early in the year as you can make it before the new ones smarten up. I'd start in the breaks north of Wall S.D. the Eagle Butte reservation was good to us past time. Have fun and bring lots and lots of ammo
Old 05-31-2016, 10:27 AM
Keeper

Eagle butte is on the cheyenne river reservation i think a license is 75 bucks or so. The plauge has wiped out alot of them the last few years. Watch out shooting on the federal lands as some do not allow it. Standing rock reservation also has alot of pdogs to kill license is the same
Old 06-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Wallhanger

We shot out of Eagle Butte years back, went up to one of the local policemen and politely asked if he knew anywhere we could shoot, he gave us several good places to shoot, and from them we got more places.

Still on the bucket list to go out one more time, just have to find someone who still wants to go.

al
Old 06-02-2016, 06:14 AM
Keeper

Must of been a while ago as times are changed. Just there yesterday and a high speed chase and the cops are so busy they barley have time to park. I know west and south got hit really hard with plauge i have some friends that ranch both ways. Even by whitehorse got hit kinda hard i would look north to standing rock.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:07 PM
Wallhanger

Any of the Plains states. You can literally go to a lot of the farmers or ranchers doors, knock, and get permission to kill them. The plague has killed off a lot of them, but it is cyclic depending on the year and location.

My wife shot prairie dogs last year for the first time. I saw the blood thirsty killer come out of her. She was calling out 'Medic!!' then would shoot the little guys trying to haul their obliterated buddy down the hole.

Watch the time of year that you go. Prairie dog holes attract rattle snakes. Don't touch the dogs, as they can contain fleas that spread the plague.

Bring lots of ammo, and have fun.
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite FS9
Pulled by 2021 Chevy Trail Boss 6.2L
Old 05-12-2021, 09:00 AM
Minnow

Last year we shoot in Eagle Butte I think this year you can try this too!!