Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Minnesota Four Bag Limit Back Up For Discussion - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 12-05-2021, 04:31 AM
Wallhanger

Default Minnesota Four Bag Limit Back Up For Discussion

From our walleye work group meeting on Friday some points I posed. .

Referencing the new wave in electronics:
So how do we legislate ethics, we can't. Can the DNR better manage the resource with this tech ? Our kids are being taught to use this technology.. Honestly , how will the industry feel or should about this stuff. Mean it about my equipment needed to fish would be diminished why would I need crank baits or spinners? and all the rod a jig and a bobber.

For a reason to go to 4 fish..bag not sure ready to go there again. At least until the questions are answered. I asked these three basic questions at the meeting and did not get a answer.

1) Does the walleye harvest need to be reduced the major pressured walleye waters now have a 4 fish limit. Instead would a management plan by inches be better?

2) If a reduction is needed, which lakes need and would benefit from reduced harvest

3) Would a statewide four bag (shotgun approach) limit direct that harvest reduction where it is actually needed.

Using the Ottertail Lake example that anglers do catch 6 fish, yes it is true and the lake has always handled 6 fish harvests well and there are a few others, a number of them in the Southern parts of the State. Preference, my opinion better a focused targeted approach that now is in place based on input from our Area Managers with data. Appreciate the States Fisheries Managers in joining us in a future zoom meeting for their thoughts and input with this subject

Last edited by Gary Korsgaden; 12-05-2021 at 04:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2021, 05:43 AM
Wallhanger

My opinion is if you base it on a lake by lake basis it takes a lot of close management to ensure the fishery is maintained, by doing it this way a lake can fall behind before anything is changed. An example of this is Leech Lake, In my opinion this lake is going in the wrong direction. I’m sure biologists are watching the highly pressured lakes but collecting data and analyzing it can be a slow process, I think being proactive instead of reactive is a smarter approach. If you look at NWO, they have strict limits in place to protect their fishery and the result is awesome fishing and sustainable.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:13 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Korsgaden View Post
From our walleye work group meeting on Friday some points I posed. .

Referencing the new wave in electronics:
So how do we legislate ethics, we can't. Can the DNR better manage the resource with this tech ? Our kids are being taught to use this technology.. Honestly , how will the industry feel or should about this stuff. Mean it about my equipment needed to fish would be diminished why would I need crank baits or spinners? and all the rod a jig and a bobber.

For a reason to go to 4 fish..bag not sure ready to go there again. At least until the questions are answered. I asked these three basic questions at the meeting and did not get a answer.

1) Does the walleye harvest need to be reduced the major pressured walleye waters now have a 4 fish limit. Instead would a management plan by inches be better?

2) If a reduction is needed, which lakes need and would benefit from reduced harvest

3) Would a statewide four bag (shotgun approach) limit direct that harvest reduction where it is actually needed.

Using the Ottertail Lake example that anglers do catch 6 fish, yes it is true and the lake has always handled 6 fish harvests well and there are a few others, a number of them in the Southern parts of the State. Preference, my opinion better a focused targeted approach that now is in place based on input from our Area Managers with data. Appreciate the States Fisheries Managers in joining us in a future zoom meeting for their thoughts and input with this subject
Thanks Gary. All great questions and like 7 Mag says, a proactive approach will definitely be better than a reactive approach.
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2021, 07:20 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

My personal opinion is draw a straight line East to West through the state at St. Cloud. Any data South of the line throw out. I don't think there is nearly the pressure on the Southern lakes that the Northern lakes have.

Make all members watch In-Depth Outdoors to see how this currant tech is working. They can see schools moving and just stay on the fish and pound them.

Leech, Kab, Rainy all have tougher Walleye fishing then years past. A lot of that is pressure related.

The glory days of fishing in Minnesota for Walleye has cycled down, will it come back? Thats the multi billion dollar question.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Or,
Leave the number of fish caught at 6 fish statewide.

But, once a fisherman has caught 6 fish - he / she - must stop fishing.

Lots and lots of fish die after being released due to the way that they have been released, or because the fish have been caught in very deep water and blew up their air bladder on the way up to the surface.

Best wishes
Old 12-06-2021, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Another thing that could be done would be use no live or dead or frozen bait.
Artificial lures only and then - only a single barbless hook on the artificial lure

No trebles allowed and no more than one single barbless pointed hook on any rod or reel setup.

No multiple hooks allowed and no more than one rod per angler. - summer, winter, spring or fall.

Bring on the zip lure and the purple hula popper.

Be safe