Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Charging multiple batteries over winter - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2021, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

My goodness.
No need to ever take a battery out of the boat, unless it needs to be replaced.
As others have said, remove all connections from one terminal on each battery after having fully charging every battery and if a refillable battery topping off the battery after charging and then charge for another two hours to be sure that the electrolyte is well mixed up.

Then, turn off the lights, cover the boat if appropriate and leave it alone for the following months that you don't use the boat.

In the spring, put a charger on each battery and make note of how long it takes to fully charge each battery.

If you find in the spring that one or more of the batteries are significantly discharged, or have discharged and cracked over the winter - remove that or those batteries and replace them.

I assume that every battery that is in the boat is in a battery box, so that if a battery does freeze because it was defective and breaks the case and leaks electroylete from the battery, you can remove the battery case, drain and clean the battery case before returning it and the new battery back into the boat.

Best wishes.

I and most of my fishing friends have not removed a battery from our boats for many years and had no damage to any good battery.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2021, 11:16 PM
Wallhanger

The only problem with leaving batteries in the boat , is if or when they freeze and break and your battery tray/box doesn’t contain the acid.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndstallmann View Post
The only problem with leaving batteries in the boat , is if or when they freeze and break and your battery tray/box doesn’t contain the acid.
Fully charged good batteries will freeze at -72 F. Not happening in Minnesota. Dead batteries of course will freeze at higher temperatures. If you properly monitor, maintain and winterize your batteries as described in many of the posts above, you can sleep well.

Read your owner's manual.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:03 AM
Wallhanger

Unless you check your batteries with a hydrometer you can’t be absolutely sure they are good.I have had a “ good “ battery freeze and break.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndstallmann View Post
Unless you check your batteries with a hydrometer you can’t be absolutely sure they are good.I have had a “ good “ battery freeze and break.
Go AGM, keep on boat, plug into charger, no worries
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Lowrance Carbon 16
Lowrance HDS Carbon 12
Lowrance autopilot
Navico Precision-9
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3in1 and HDI
Airmar tm150
2 84" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
8 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 12-04-2021, 12:35 PM
Wallhanger

If you really want to. I would pick up one or two of the NOCO battery two bank tenders. For 70 bucks a piece. Not much considering how much stuff costs nowadays. If only buying one. Just switch it to your other battery’s once a month. I would not use your already owned charger to daisy chain multiple battery’s. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6CzPWW93xXtjZy
Old 12-06-2021, 01:18 PM
Supporting Vendor

I would worry more about a charger malfunction (even fire) than good batteries going dead. Disconnect the negative cable and everything dies. No draw, no dead battery. We even do that with our motorhome and everything is fine in the spring.
Ken
Website - https://www.jirehfinancial.com/[/url]
Office (517) 888-0406
Old 01-19-2022, 10:35 AM
Minnow

Anyone had issues with the Duracell AGM deep cycles? After less then a year of use, I tested it and its max charging to 12.38-12.42V.

Backstory:
I got a new group 31 last spring and had it running my electronics as a stand-alone battery. It got charged up nightly with a dual-pro sportsman 10A 2-Bank without issue for the season, regularly returned to 12.85V. Late October, I put the boat inside my car garage and I charged all the batteries and disconnected everything through manual switches, but left the dual pro connected for maintaining through the winter.

Mid December check and all was well with solid green lights. I checked it this past weekend and found the extension cord got unplugged to the charger. Plugged it in and the dual-pro came up to a 90% charge and I let it finish off to 100, before disconnecting it so I could let it rest for a voltage test.

After waiting 24 hours, the battery was at 12.38V. I connected it back to the charger and it displayed 90% again and began final charging. I tested the output voltage in the mid 15V range, which seemed high. I'm somewhere between wondering if the dual-pro cooked the battery or if a cell failed.

I'll probably have batteries plus bulbs test it since they have a good warranty.
Helix 9 MSI G4N
Helix 7 MDI G3N
Old 01-19-2022, 11:02 AM
Keeper

I 've heard that a normal lead-acid battery will lose 1% of its charge every day, and once the battery gets to about 70% will start to sulfate the internal plates, what I do is once a month is hook up my battery charger and bring all batteries up to 100%, I leave the charger on for another day and then disconnect the charger. I also check the water levels about every 3 months. My batteries stay in the boat , in the garage (unheated). I have done this for 10 years and my original Deca batteries lasted over 7 years
I would not try to charge all batteries with this charger, easier to get a multi-bank charger and just charge all of them once a month, just don't leave the chargers plugged in 24/7.

Last edited by Franco Cialone; 01-19-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:26 AM
mk cant log in

Maybe not necessary but what I do is remove the batteries, connect them in parallel with jumpers, connect a trickle charger and put the charger on a lamp timer. They trickle charge for an hour a day. Its worked wall for many years.

YMMV