Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
EFI Versus HPDI, Optimax - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 12-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Wallhanger

Default EFI Versus HPDI, Optimax

Looking around at different motors as I do have a 135 Optimax now and my boat is rated for a 175 I can find great deals on 175 EFI`s versus just try finding a 175 Optimax with out taking an arm and a leg to get one. My Opti has been a great motor but when fishing four in my boat the 135 is just lacking that extra to get her up on plane once on plane she does alright.

Has any gone from an EFI to either HPDI or Opti what are the differences have you noticed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2019, 07:18 PM
Slot Fish

From what I've read in the past, the 175 Pro XS/ Opti was a strong running engine.
The Evinrude G2 is your only other choice of DI 2-stroke. Merc also has the new 3.4L V-6 4 stroke, Honda has a 3.5L V-6, Suzuki and Yamaha have their 175 I-4s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2019, 12:50 AM
Wallhanger

If you mean the older EFI 2 strokes, rather than the current 4 stroke EFI motors, then the fuel usage will be the most significant difference. Those old 2 stroke EFIs were thirsty. The Optimax and HDPI motors were much more efficient, similar to modern 4 strokes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2019, 02:35 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Kelly View Post
If you mean the older EFI 2 strokes, rather than the current 4 stroke EFI motors, then the fuel usage will be the most significant difference. Those old 2 stroke EFIs were thirsty. The Optimax and HDPI motors were much more efficient, similar to modern 4 strokes.
Agreed!! Sorry OP, I got a bit off topic there!!

Old 12-11-2019, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Tom,
You can save a lot of money out of your wallet, if you just go and buy a new prop with 2 inches of less pitch.

You may take a mile or two off the top end, but your boat will pop on plane with no trouble with the extra weight.

Really no different that starting a car in 2nd gear, rather than starting a car in 3rd gear.

Then, after you have the motor repropped, you can take your time to find the engine of your choice.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Wallhanger

Right now it will run with 2 people full of crap it will run right at 46-47 at 5700 rpm and will get up on plane very easily. What happens when we go on our week long fishing trips some days I have 4 people and other days just two of us. Going to a smaller prop I would be hitting the rev limiter and having to watch it constantly and changing props every other day or mid day kinda sucks.

My boat is a 2000 purchased in 2003 I do not ever see me buying a new boat as this one does what I want and extremely well. I have been looking for a couple of years now for a 175 used Opti the ones I have found are all long shafts. Have found great deals on the big block 200- 250`s Pro XS`s as they only weight roughly 80# more then my 135 it has been tempting.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:00 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
Right now it will run with 2 people full of crap it will run right at 46-47 at 5700 rpm and will get up on plane very easily. What happens when we go on our week long fishing trips some days I have 4 people and other days just two of us. Going to a smaller prop I would be hitting the rev limiter and having to watch it constantly and changing props every other day or mid day kinda sucks.

My boat is a 2000 purchased in 2003 I do not ever see me buying a new boat as this one does what I want and extremely well. I have been looking for a couple of years now for a 175 used Opti the ones I have found are all long shafts. Have found great deals on the big block 200- 250`s Pro XS`s as they only weight roughly 80# more then my 135 it has been tempting.
I've been there with every boat I've owned Tom!! Max hp with the right propping and jackplate will allow you to wring the most out of it. Then on to ECM tuning!!

Old 12-11-2019, 08:12 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:

I've been there with every boat I've owned Tom!! Max hp with the right propping and jackplate will allow you to wring the most out of it. Then on to ECM tuning!!

Old 12-12-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Has any gone from an EFI to either HPDI or Opti what are the differences have you noticed
You will notice much better fuel economy, no smoke and possibly a little less decibels with DFI motors.

I have owned a Mercury 175 EFI for 15 years. It's thirsty no matter how nice of a driver I am.

I don't think you would be happy going from an Opti to EFI. I personally wouldn't even consider it. That's why there are deals to be had on EFIs.

Then again, I've seen a lot of headaches with friend's DFI motors because they are more technically advanced.

I wouldn't exceed max hp on the boat either. I'd love to bolt on a 200hp myself, but it leads into problems with insurance and such down the road.

For your fishing trips I would find a different prop. That's what I do on my trips. Different prop/pitch for different situations.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Looking around at different motors as I do have a 135 Optimax now and my boat is rated for a 175 I can find great deals on 175 EFI`s versus just try finding a 175 Optimax with out taking an arm and a leg to get one. My Opti has been a great motor but when fishing four in my boat the 135 is just lacking that extra to get her up on plane once on plane she does alright.

As Tim Taylor the Tool Man said "You Need More POWER" . . . .

https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/e-tec...ecs.html#tab=0
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra