Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund Rotten Transom Repair - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-16-2021, 10:37 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbilodeau View Post
Just out of curiosity....does Lund only warranty the transom for the original owner?
Below is what I found on the Lund website under FAQ's. Looks like 2006 and newer models do have transferable warranties for a fee. I thought it was only original owner, which I assume is still the case for models prior to 2006.

Is my warranty transferable?
2006 and newer models have a transferable warranty for a fee. Subsequent owners are eligible to transfer an active warranty and are eligible for a 10-year prorated warranty that is based off of the boat’s original date of sale. For full details and to transfer the warranty, please contact your local Lund dealer within 60 days of purchase.

2008 ProV 1800 SE
150 Verado
Ulterra I-Pilot
Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 3
Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2021, 02:04 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be investigating the transom further before I jump to the conclusion that it needs replaced. But I'm thinking it'll need it eventually. Looking at the transom of the boat and the read pan overall, it all looks solid and doesn't flex or anything like that. But given the number of bubbles across the transom it sure doesn't seem right. I'll need to pull a motor bolt and/or a top cap to see what's what and then determine who might do the work and when. I've got several good leads from this forum. Thanks again.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:38 PM
Slot Fish

I'd be curious as to what you find under the cap and the motor mount bolts (pics). I have an 02 Fisherman 1800, and I might do the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2021, 05:15 PM
Minnow

Well I quickly pulled the top caps. First side, not terrible up high. Second side, I knew what was up as soon as I pulled two screws and they spun out.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a44be45096.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5ca2aeb390.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ac813f1c20.jpg
Old 09-29-2021, 07:23 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
Just because the paint has some bubbles doesnít mean you have a rotten transom. I have a alumacraft with the paint bubbling and I believe the transom is good. Itís never been outside. I thinks itís from electrolysis. I have replaced several transom in some smaller boats and they never had any paint bubbles. If you check the transom and itís solid I would just use the boat.
This^^^^
Old 09-29-2021, 07:58 AM
Minnow

She's definitely rotten. Amazing really when you look at the boat and it's in near perfect condition for its age.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3991[1].jpg
Views:	159
Size:	495.5 KB
ID:	329548  
Old 09-29-2021, 10:18 AM
Slot Fish

Well, I pulled my cap a few years ago or so ago and it looked like this. I've since sealed the cap hoping to get a few more years out of mine. I don't have any bubbling paint like you and really don't see any flex when moving the motor but I've also got an inquiry into a local dealer to see if lund makes a replacement HDP for my boat. If they do I might look into it. if you go down the replacement route keep us posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170516_200558.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	489.0 KB
ID:	329550   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170516_202001.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	490.5 KB
ID:	329554  
Old 09-29-2021, 08:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt1up View Post
She's definitely rotten. Amazing really when you look at the boat and it's in near perfect condition for its age.
Well that is a bummer but with the bubbling it is what was expected. If there is a silver lining, when it's all said and done you will have a rock solid transom. I highly recommend you go the composite route and never worry about rot again. You got a nice boat there when you get it all fixed up, enjoy it and good luck on the repair
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Lowrance Carbon 16
Lowrance HDS Carbon 12
Lowrance autopilot
Navico Precision-9
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3in1 and HDI
Airmar tm150
2 84" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
8 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 10-06-2021, 07:09 PM
Minnow

Sorry to hear Hunt1 up, but my neighbor did the exact same thing several years ago. After several crazy quotes we decided to do it our selves. A big job for sure and not cheap. First we emoved the engine (115 Merc 4 stroke), with special lift tool ($$), disassembled the splash well, remove transom cap, then dig out ALL the spray foam in each compartment to access nuts on all the screws. We installed Cosa board ($$) but could not match the dimension correctly so added a couple aluminum plates ($$) to match the original thickness. It all went very well but disappointed that all the original screws in the transom were not drilled perpendicular. When the screws are removed the heads would be bent one way or another. We are both aircraft mechanics so familiar with aluminum and corrosion so cleaned and treated all the corrosion before reinstalling the new transom. Once you get this done you need spray foam ($$) and exterior paint. I think we spent about $400 just in paint for this small area, oh then there are the splash well drains and installation tool. A big job for sure but we got it done with no issues or future worries. So as the quotes were pretty expensive the labor, special tools and supplies are a big part of that cost. Good luck
Old 10-07-2021, 06:00 AM
Wallhanger

I have the same problem with my 2000 2025 Pro V. It is scheduled to go in for repair this winter. I'm too old to take on that repair and a different boat is not in the plan. With todays prices repair is the only way for me to go. The plywood problem was not handled very well by Lund. The good news is Lund boats are worth fixing, once fixed properly they will last a very long time.
Have a great day.
Jim