Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bark collars do they really work? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2021, 06:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouge View Post
A training collar is completely different. This is used with a remote. It's not a bark collar, it's used for correction as the dog is being trained (or actively watched).
... Except when it also has a bark setting, in which case the only way it differs is by being more versatile.

Here's the e-collar I use for most purposes (including bark control):

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/140325

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2021, 07:05 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
... Except when it also has a bark setting, in which case the only way it differs is by being more versatile.

Here's the e-collar I use for most purposes (including bark control):

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/140325

Gerry

Thanks Gerry! I didn't know this existed. Further, I'd like to apologize for the rightfully deleted "bully" post. If I could be forthright, I think we were both a bit bullish - please, no hard feelings my friend! I posted that out of frustration, and you replied out of frustration. I tell you, in the end, it's cool on my end.

But, I'll definitely take a look at that garmin unit - I appreciate the tip.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouge View Post
Thanks Gerry! I didn't know this existed. Further, I'd like to apologize for the rightfully deleted "bully" post. If I could be forthright, I think we were both a bit bullish - please, no hard feelings my friend! I posted that out of frustration, and you replied out of frustration. I tell you, in the end, it's cool on my end.

But, I'll definitely take a look at that garmin unit - I appreciate the tip.
I've had a Garmin PRO 550 (not the PRO 550 PLUS, which adds tracking but I think takes away bark control; I like a different Garmin collar when tracking is desired) for several years now, with it getting lots of use in all kinds of conditions over that time - my current GSP busts brush in it pretty much every day when we're here at home, rain or shine, hot or bitterly cold, and swims in it regularly during the open water season, too - and it's been a stellar performer, absolutely problem-free. Haven't even had to replace the rechargeable battery. A bit much if all a person really wants is a bark collar, but if s/he wants a collar for general purposes and bark control then I highly recommend it.

I always try a new collar on myself first, too, with a bit of water or KY on the skin to make sure I get a good connection. Should be a requirement of everyone before they use one on their dog.

Don't worry about that other stuff, amigo; I'd already forgotten it. Social media turn us all into caricatures of ourselves once in a while.

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2021, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Gbin,
A link:

https://www.crosspaws.com.au/blog/do...-bark-collars/
Old 09-16-2021, 07:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Really? You had to go all the way to Australia just to find some emotion-laden propaganda against e-collars - no data or citations, of course, other than a basic text on behavior as a general reference - and yet it doesn't even come close to backing up your bogus assertions? (I guess the author has at least a bit more integrity than you do, anyway, to refrain from making any such outrageously false claims.)

Going to search up some rants about how our pastime subjects poor fish to unspeakable pain and terror, next?

Gerry
Old 09-16-2021, 08:31 PM
Wallhanger

Collars are for training. While you are out with your dog. The unwarranted barking is is also a trainable behavior. If you use the collar for punishing the dog you should not have a collar or a dog. If you use the same attitude with the dog as with your children when they are 2 or 3 years old you are doing it right. I still use the collar on walks, but vibration is all that is ever needed. It is just for when attention wanders when other critters are involved it just reminds them of their training. In the beginning the lowest setting is used to get the pups attention when you give a command. I strap the collar on the inside of my forearm to see what intensity is appropriate. I could not feel #3 or less at all.(1 to 10 scale) I used #2 and did all the training without ever raising the intensity. I use the Garmin Sport Pro. JMO Bob
Old 09-16-2021, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Gerry,
I might suggest that you go the Walt Disney show "Bambi"

In particular, when Bambi's mother mother said to Bambi - "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all."

I hope that you wake up in a better mode tomorrow. Or, if you are having trouble in your life, I hope that you work out the problem.

But above all do your best to be happy.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:29 AM
Wallhanger

REW - I get what you're saying about posting "nicely" and you usually do that very, very well, Sir. We all get chippy from time to time.

Gerry jumped you (and rightly so) because you made some bogus claims (more than likely it was just your opinion) and then it would "appear" that you searched out some support for your bogus claim, and tried to pass it off as good information when really, your support info was pretty much bogus too. That's all that happened here.....
Old 09-17-2021, 09:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Gerry,
I might suggest that you go the Walt Disney show "Bambi"

In particular, when Bambi's mother mother said to Bambi - "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all."

I hope that you wake up in a better mode tomorrow. Or, if you are having trouble in your life, I hope that you work out the problem.

But above all do your best to be happy.
The quote is actually "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nuthin' at all."

And it was actually something Thumper repeated that his father had said to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt9jAkWie4

And lastly, your spreading - maybe even creating - lying propaganda against e-collars in the midst of a discussion about them is actually the opposite of saying something nice.

But sure, other than that...

Gerry
Old 09-17-2021, 03:19 PM
Wallhanger

Too bad you can't put the collar on the upstairs tenants. Then get them to make the dog bark.