Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New cars and trucks, mostly trucks... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2021, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Default New cars and trucks, mostly trucks...

Looked at a new Chevy 2500 HD LS to replace my older 2003 same for the farm. New truck was stickered at $47,900. The truck has tons of stuff I really don't want or need for a working truck. Weird tailgate with folds, steps, and whatever. Steps on front corners of the bed. Just a lot of "stuff" that to me either has no value or even hinders the function-ability such as the over the top tailgate.

Isn't there a market out there for just a "truck" without tons of "features" that are expensive to repair or bloody complicated to repair. I don't want or need On-Star connectivity or subscription radio. I just want a work truck that I can keep as long as my old truck and always starts and moves!

I got to thinking about this when my wife's 2019 Ford Edge recently lost it's ability (Ford Pass) to connect to our phones so we can remote start it from our phones and I'm not sure the dealer has any idea how to fix it. That is a feature we bought the car for. When traveling in the winter we can (used to anyway!) start the car remotely from inside the airport and get a head start on the deicing of the car before we get our luggage and head for the snow covered parking lot.

In the past few years I've ran into this with other pieces of equipment from farm tractors to now her car. They are so complex that few tech's know how to make them "right" again if there is a problem. Usually software related in about every case.

Just a rant, but no one seems to listen or care about the just regular working schmuck.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2021, 06:21 PM
LV guy

Every brand has a stripped down version that you can order. Most people want the latest greatest options so you are not going to find many stripped down trucks on the lot. Just order one to your specifications.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:31 PM
Wallhanger

like LV said its a special order probably for what you want, its just the way the dealers order them in... i know an old boy here that trades every 2 years, he wants a chevy 1/2 ton with just a radio, standard trans, roll up windows, and a/c, thats it!! its a pita lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2021, 06:42 PM
Wallhanger

Technology, call the dealer. Gone are the days when you can fix anything yourself. You can't even put in an aftermarket stereo without having some one set it up to the computer.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

This is often a topic of discussion among the guys having breakfast at a local restaurant. Seems the trucks come with bells and whistles that are not wanted and seem to be of no use to the "normal" user. My wife has a 2016 Impala with 25,000 miles on it and it has features that she has no idea are there and no inkling about how they operate. My 2019 F 150 was built to my specifications but even then I found that features I wanted could only be obtained by ordering a package that included items I had no interest in having on my truck.

I feel it just part of a business model designed to pull a few extra thousand out of my pocket.

Jack
Old 11-18-2021, 09:37 PM
Keeper

Google this to get your wife's Edge problem fixed. The APIM needs to be reprogrammed. A quick fix. I'm having issues with it to:

SYNC Screen Concerns, Wi-Fi Connection Message, Rear View Camera Operation

You'll find a technical service bulletin in it. It sounds common.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:59 AM
Wallhanger

You will have to go to a dealer that deals with construction companies and specialize in work trucks. I know GM used to market work trucks thru all their dealers but not sure on that any more. GM used to advertise it as a WT model. I've been out of the market for a while. My truck is an '05 Dura Max with 160,000 miles and it now sits in the garage most of the time as all it is used for is to tow the boat and haul a load of something somewhere, or a deer to be cut up.
Have a great day.
Jim
Old 11-19-2021, 06:00 AM
Keeper

I went through the same thing a couple of years ago when I bought my Grand Cherokee. I wanted a basic model with the tow package. Everything on the lots in my area were loaded up with $1000s of extras I did not want (electronics, power roof, etc.) so I started working deals to have one ordered when a local dealer found one in another state and horse traded to bring it in.

Since you are looking at trucks I would try a dealer that has a commercial or fleet group. Those people regularly deal with customers who want just a basic truck and things like bed deletes etc.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:35 AM
Wallhanger

Chevy makes a WT (Work Truck) trim level.

Ram makes a Tradesman trim level.

Not sure on the others.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:37 AM
Keeper

Maybe go to a commercial dealer as opposed to a consumer dealer? They have stripped down vehicles.