Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dry boat weight vs trailer tow weight? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 04-05-2021, 05:48 PM
Wallhanger

The 2021 Chevy Silverado has cameras in the mirrors that when you put your blinker on the camera picks up live video of what's along side your boat and displays it on the radio/interface screen (center console). Pretty neat! Can see a motorcycle or a small car that would be in your blind spot with just the mirrors.

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2021, 06:02 PM
Wallhanger

These are the best mirrors I have found. I did switch the clamps to the bottom of my mirror. They do have a different style that may give you more width. But the regular ones have plenty of adjustment. Plus I get less vibration in the mirror. Then the rubber strap on ones. https://www.jrproducts.com/index.php...s&item=3202912
Old 04-06-2021, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

p.s.
If you have a rear visibility problem with any tow vehicle and the object that is being towed- consider adding a rear view camera to the setup.

Simply take a rear view wireless camera on the back of what ever you are pulling.

Then, mount the viewing screen up where it is visible by the driver. Connect things so that any time that the towing vehicle has its ignition turned on - the rear view camera is on and active.

That way, no matter where you go in what every condition, you will always be able to see what is going on behind the towed object.

Best wishes.

p.s.
The prices for these wireless cameras and screens have really fallen. One can generally obtain such a setup for $50- $75.

For example:

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/xtr...0view%20camera
Old 04-08-2021, 01:37 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
These are the best mirrors I have found. I did switch the clamps to the bottom of my mirror. They do have a different style that may give you more width. But the regular ones have plenty of adjustment. Plus I get less vibration in the mirror. Then the rubber strap on ones. https://www.jrproducts.com/index.php...s&item=3202912
We settled on CIPA 11980 Universal Bar Towing Mirrors. You can adjust how far out they reach based on your needs (we went as far as we could without them folding the car mirror more than occasionally).

I've also used Fit System 3891 Delux Universal Clip-on mirrors, which I really liked, but they didn't extend out as far as the CIPA's did. If I purchase a wider tow vehicle at some point I'll likely switch back to these.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBin303 View Post
As far as LEO ticketing based on your tow rating, that is the first that I have ever heard of it, and color me skeptical. Troopers (and insurance companies) don't care what your vehicle is rated for. Honestly, unless you are grossly over the tow rating, they would have to do some research to see what each specific vehicle is rated for.
Most every time an officer stops a vehicle, he will ask for license, registration and proof of insurance. All he does is punch in the VIN on the registration and the computer does the research for him.

Keep in mind, the Michigan officer said a ticket would be issued in the case of an accident.

In Iowa, there are both, state troopers patrolling the roads, as well as DOT officers. Part of the DOT officers focus, is to look for towing violations.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
Most every time an officer stops a vehicle, he will ask for license, registration and proof of insurance. All he does is punch in the VIN on the registration and the computer does the research for him.

Keep in mind, the Michigan officer said a ticket would be issued in the case of an accident.

In Iowa, there are both, state troopers patrolling the roads, as well as DOT officers. Part of the DOT officers focus, is to look for towing violations.
Show me the statute where the manufacturer tow rating is a legal limitation.

DOT would look for over axle or tire weight. Which are both considerably above the manufacturer rating. And again, other than some stories about things grossly over weigh out at Glamis, Iíve never heard of DOT spending time on something that isnít commercial.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:48 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty59 View Post
In talking with a Michigan State Trooper about vehicle tow capacity versus the rating on the trailer., he said they would ticket anyone as at fault in an accident if the trailer is rated higher than the vehicle tow rating. He said you would be at fault even if the trailer was empty since it was being pulled by a vehicle with a lesser rating. Don't know how anyone else would view the situation, he was pretty firm on his stance!

Marty
Unless there is a specific statue that makes towing a trailer with a capability of holding more than the vehicle can illegal, I suspect even a moderately capable lawyer would have a field day with this in court.

There is no logical reason a vehicle with a 2000# capacity can't haul around an empty boat trailer that weights 1000# but is capable of holding 4500#.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:24 AM
Wallhanger

Regarding the ability to stop. Do yourself a favor, increase your following distance. If you normally run 2 or 3 seconds behind the vehicle in front of you, aim for 6 to 7 seconds. This will increase your reaction time plus over all stopping distance. You donít want to ride the tail of the vehicle in front of you.