Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lithium Iron Batteries - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-14-2019, 09:12 PM
Wallhanger

And just to pile on to REW's comments, with LA, if you go below the 50% discharge, you still have lots of capacity left if you really, really need it. Not good, but if you get to 0%, there might be a chance you can still recharge it, although with a high probability of shorter life. With Lithiums, you get them to 0 once, and they are toast.
And, while you can use lithiums in cold weather...you risk big damage if you try to recharge them in cold weather....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 PM
Wallhanger

There is little correct information in the last 2 posts. If you have questions ask the manufacturer about chargers and dangers with LiFePo4 batteries. They have the exact same chance of catching fire as lead acids. Many AGM chargers have the correct profile to charge LiFePo4 batteries. The battery supplier will tell you what can be used.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:32 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
There is little correct information in the last 2 posts. If you have questions ask the manufacturer about chargers and dangers with LiFePo4 batteries. They have the exact same chance of catching fire as lead acids. Many AGM chargers have the correct profile to charge LiFePo4 batteries. The battery supplier will tell you what can be used.
Ozark Bob is correct, do your homework. I have 2 -"Super B" LiFePo4 batteries in my Yar-Craft 219TFX, starting and House Battery. In the first year I owned this boat, I unwittingly discharged them completely by accidently leaving the master switch on, they recharged and have not had a problem with them in 2 years.. 5 years old and functioning perfectly!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2019, 11:51 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Jsb,

If you want to go fast, put on a system 7 - 500hp engine on your boat and you will go very fast for as long as your boat stays on the top side of the water.

Good luck
I believe you are referring to the 7-Marine 557 outboard?! 1000+ lbs hanging on the back of your walleye boat. River Runner Recreations has a Yar-Craft 219TFX with this outboard on their showroom floor, they may give you the lowdown on this setup, Merc Racing's new 450R would no doubt be a better, more useable deal, about $13k cheaper for the engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2019, 06:48 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Tilz,
One thing that is ultra important when using Lithium Ion batteries and that is to use the correct battery charger that is designed for the specific Lithium Ion battery being charged.

Do NOT use a conventional On board charger, or stand a lone charger that is designed to work with flooded wet cell 12 volt battries, or AGM 12 volt batteries.

Lithium battery chargers have unique features with respect to voltage sensing and current shot off that is not present in either of the formerly listed battery chargers.

For example - a white paper on Lithium Ion battery charging:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._ion_batteries

An example of a tested set of battery and charger:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lith...ge-LITHPR.html

The price is a modest $2,500.

Be safe
Dual Pro chargers can be programmed to work with the Li Ion batteries. Also, most of the Minn Kota PC chargers work on the AGM setting.
Lowrance Ti2 9" console and bow
Old 08-15-2019, 08:25 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghappy View Post
Dual Pro chargers can be programmed to work with the Li Ion batteries. Also, most of the Minn Kota PC chargers work on the AGM setting.
I was just going to mention that. Another consideration is to ensure your main motor is capable of charging the lithium battery if you’re thinking about using one for your starter battery and that using a lithium isn’t going to create any warranty issues.

I also disagree with the statement that lithium aren’t more prone to catching on fire than lead batteries. There are too many cases over the past few years that dispute this.

Although I’m no expert I did a fair amount of research when ordering a new boat and that research didn’t give me a enough confidence to make the leap. Yet.

Last edited by Tilzbow; 08-15-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilzbow View Post
I was just going to mention that. Another consideration is to ensure your main motor is capable of charging the lithium battery if youíre thinking about using one for your starter battery and that using a lithium isnít going to create any warranty issues.

I also disagree with the statement that lithium arenít more prone to catching on fire than lead batteries. There are too many cases over the past few years that dispute this.

Although Iím no expert I did a fair amount of research when ordering a new boat and that research didnít give me a enough confidence to make the leap. Yet.
Lithium covers a lot of ground. You need to be very specific. The kind used in the marine variety are as I have noted a couple times. LiFePo4 is a very safe form of lithium batteries. The thermal runaway temperatures are way higher than most Lithium formulations. It is fire rated the same as lead acid batteries.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Wallhanger

The batteries sold as marine and most others have what is called a "BMS". Battery management system. They prevent the user from doing one of many things that can damage LiFePo4 batteries. They will not allow the user to discharge the battery past the point of no return. It has maximum charge and discharge limits It has temperature limits for charging and discharging if too cold or too hot. When conditions are back to a reasonable temp, voltages or
Amps they will again allow the battery to begin functioning again. And many more. Bob
Old 08-15-2019, 12:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye1965 View Post
I would do some research on the noco chargers. I had very poor luck with my purchase. I found dealer and factory service poor as well. Finally just threw the piece of junk away and installed a Minn Kota no issues. Good luck with your purchase.
I have a 3.5 amp NOCO charger and have been very happy with it. It has a battery repair mode and has rejuvenated a few deep cycle batteries for me, including a group 31. That group 31 seemed to have lost a lot of capacity, so I had the charger hooked to it in my basement for more than 2 weeks one winter and, while the battery voltage said it was fully charged, the "100%" light kept flashing which means "we're not done yet". The 100% light finally was illuminated constantly and ever thensince the battery has performed like it was new. Same kind of story, but less dramatic with other deep cycle batteries.

I don't know anyone who has a NOCO on-board charger. I used to have a Dual Pro on my Yarcraft, but the float voltage went out of control on my batteries and started overcharging them. Replaced it with a MinnKota Precision charger and all has been good.