Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Resealing an asphalt driveway - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2021, 12:03 PM
interesting thread

Default interesting thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stout93 View Post
Apples to Oranges...
Asphalt to Concrete....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2021, 12:28 PM
Wallhanger

As long as we are on the subject, is anyone familiar with asphalt milling or removing the top of the asphalt and re-applying new? Does it hold up well? Cost compared to a re-seal?

We are considering this option on a parking lot due to code changes. If you re-seal, or do a partial "top layer only" tear off, you stay grandfathered under the old code, but if you go down to the base layer gravel, you invoke new, stricter water quality run-off rules.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:43 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
As long as we are on the subject, is anyone familiar with asphalt milling or removing the top of the asphalt and re-applying new? Does it hold up well? Cost compared to a re-seal?

We are considering this option on a parking lot due to code changes. If you re-seal, or do a partial "top layer only" tear off, you stay grandfathered under the old code, but if you go down to the base layer gravel, you invoke new, stricter water quality run-off rules.
Our city allows milling into the subgrade. If you go below you need to upgrade to new storm water standards. We will make you repair your storm sewer system - doghouses and and rings or replace a failing structure. But this ultimately will save the owner money so it doesn't fail right after the asphalt is placed, as has happened before.

If you don't go to the base you will get reflective cracking every time. Here it might be one winter season. It's a waste of asphalt IMO, your city should know better or it's a way to force the new standards.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Tyme View Post
Our city allows milling into the subgrade. If you go below you need to upgrade to new storm water standards. We will make you repair your storm sewer system - doghouses and and rings or replace a failing structure. But this ultimately will save the owner money so it doesn't fail right after the asphalt is placed, as has happened before.

If you don't go to the base you will get reflective cracking every time. Here it might be one winter season. It's a waste of asphalt IMO, your city should know better or it's a way to force the new standards.
City said if you go down to the gravel, you are subject to the new rules. I'm not sure what exactly those rules are yet, but that's the deal.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

Has anyone drilled holes to determine if it is even possible to take the top off for an overcoat.
I agree with Hammer Tyme, it is a waste of material and money.
I helped lay thousands of tons of hot mix years ago. I ran pavers and rollers.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:22 PM
Minnow

Concrete in the long run is the better choice and not that much more. $5.00 sq ft
Old 03-06-2021, 05:17 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schmidt View Post
Concrete in the long run is the better choice and not that much more. $5.00 sq ft
Why is it the better choice?

Resale? That's been debunked. 99.9% (probably 100%) of people aren't going to walk away from a sale because the property has an asphalt driveway. It does not increase property value.

Maintenance? 50% say that resealing asphalt isn't really necessary and is basically cosmetic only.

Longevity...maybe...but an asphalt driveway will last longer than most people will live in their house.

I understand people have their preferences but I'm still trying to understand why concrete is THAT MUCH MORE preferable.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:50 PM
concrete vs asphalt

Default concrete vs asphalt

I guess if you are stingy with a dollar and too cheap to upspend to put concrete in and are happy with asphalt and wish to justify in your own mind that asphalt is in some way better then good on you. With that being said, ^^^ statements are totally silly at best.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:21 PM
Wallhanger

They do not reseal our roads every year in Minnesota? lot more use then a driveway, different kind of asphalt? I do not know the answer, I did mine yearly when I lived in the cities, never seemed to make a difference
Old 03-07-2021, 03:19 AM
Concrete is always better

two exact homes but only difference is asphalt or concrete driveway same price which do you buy