Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Canada chip for Helix 10 G1 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-05-2020, 06:06 PM
Slot Fish

Default Canada chip for Helix 10 G1

Anyone know what card would be best choice for a Helix 10 g1 ? Specifically looking for Red Lake/Gullrock Lake in Western Ontario. Lac Suel would be a bonus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2020, 08:22 PM
Wallhanger

The Lakemaster card for Ontario has both of those lakes, but in what is called "standard definition". Click on the link below and scroll down and click on the lake list.
https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...ter-ontario-v2

I'd be inclined to use Navionics, although it probably isn't a lot different from Lakemaster for Ontario lakes. If you zoom in, you can tell the 1-foot contours are just filled in from the 10-foot contours, not actually surveyed. And how accurate the 10-foot contours are is questionable too. I know that from my experience with Lac Seul. For navigation, it works fine, and there are "safe" travel routes shown, but water levels fluctuate enough that they can become unsafe at speed. Doing actual survey by boat is more expensive for most Canadian waters than any mapping company would be able to justify. You can see what those lakes look like at the link below.
https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@6&key=_amrGfslyP
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9

Last edited by h8go4s; 04-05-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:00 PM
Wallhanger

I just thought of this. On the Lakemaster card, you can set a shallow water shading (red) to any depth you want. I usually use 10 feet. Then you can set another targeting a range of depths. In unfamiliar waters, I set that to 11-20 feet when traveling, so it keeps me somewhat safe from hazards. That might tip the scales toward Lakemaster.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2020, 09:42 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8go4s View Post
The Lakemaster card for Ontario has both of those lakes, but in what is called "standard definition". Click on the link below and scroll down and click on the lake list.
https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...ter-ontario-v2

I'd be inclined to use Navionics, although it probably isn't a lot different from Lakemaster for Ontario lakes. If you zoom in, you can tell the 1-foot contours are just filled in from the 10-foot contours, not actually surveyed. And how accurate the 10-foot contours are is questionable too. I know that from my experience with Lac Seul. For navigation, it works fine, and there are "safe" travel routes shown, but water levels fluctuate enough that they can become unsafe at speed. Doing actual survey by boat is more expensive for most Canadian waters than any mapping company would be able to justify. You can see what those lakes look like at the link below.
https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@6&key=_amrGfslyP
I have the Nav chip for Canada that I used in the Lowrance I just sold. Did not think it would work in the Helix. Its the micro chip.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitual Eyer View Post
I have the Nav chip for Canada that I used in the Lowrance I just sold. Did not think it would work in the Helix. Its the micro chip.

I recall that when I got Navionics I had to specify the unit I would be using it in. Different coding for different plotter brands.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 04-09-2020, 07:39 PM
Wallhanger

For Navionics on Canadian lakes use their"WEB APP" site to check out the lakes. There is a blue button on the lower left of the map screen and look at sonar charts also for the crowd source recordings some are very good. Zoom in for detail
Link: https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...a%7CpoHz%7DgwP
Old 04-17-2020, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

The attached image shows a case where Lakemaster Ontario is better than Navionics.
There could be cases either way but it is enough for me to prefer the Lakemaster chip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NavionicsVSLakemaster.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	317628  
Old 04-18-2020, 12:54 PM
Wallhanger

Looks like the same quality(resolution) but the Lakemaster features are a plus. Did you look at that lake using the Sonar charts on the Web App? Some are pretty well populated with HD quality. Bob
Lake Name?

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 04-18-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:15 PM
Wallhanger

Found it under Sonar Charts setting: https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...%7B_wmHtk%7CzP
Old 04-19-2020, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I did see that but strangely that information does not show up on the Navionics chip.
At least not on a Helix unit.