Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Twister Tails and Crawlers - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Wallhanger

Default Twister Tails and Crawlers

Going to Canada this Spring and due to minnow cost wanted to have some other options to minnows. Does anyone use tails and then tip the hook with crawler? Wanting to know if folks have had any luck or failure with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Keeper

Default Twister Tails

I have always had good luck with just using twister tails by themselves. I find I do need to keep a variety of different colors because you never know what they want that day.

Last year orange was hot, the year before has chart.

Never tried tipping them with a worm
Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Keeper

Default Twister tails and crawlers

We have always taken worms with us however we never saw much of a change if we used them or just the tails by themselves. Chart white black have worked in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Slot Fish

Default Twister/worm

We do it all the time. A worm seems to last longer on the hook and isn't as easy for the perch to steal. I also think you get fewer pike strikes but can't prove it.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Slot Fish

Default Gulp Minnows

We have had tremendous results with gulp minnows the past two trips. Usually 3" smelt on a 1/4 or 1/8 oz jig rigged in tradional fashion. Sometimes I will switch up and use a twister and tip the jig with a 2.5 inch gulp minnow hooked through the eyes only. I use one pack of 2.5 inch and 2 or 3 packs of 3" in a week depending on the bite. As far as crawlers I use 3/4 or all the crawler without a twister. Only when anchored and I drag it slowly across the bottom. My son fishes the crawler under the boat on a jig and catches more than all of us.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Keeper

We use the twister tails with a 1/3 of a crawler. Works great. Some guys wanted minnows last year but they did no better than anyone else. We are on Lac Suel so I can't say how they work on other lakes.

We buy flats of crawlers and bring them with. Keep them cool and they last a long time.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuamb View Post
We use the twister tails with a 1/3 of a crawler. Works great. Some guys wanted minnows last year but they did no better than anyone else. We are on Lac Suel so I can't say how they work on other lakes.

We buy flats of crawlers and bring them with. Keep them cool and they last a long time.
X2 and I also tip twisters with leaches.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Wallhanger

Default minnows are hard to beat

I usually use twister tails when the minnows run out. white or chartreuse work well. However, Walleye assassins work almost as good as minnows. When I use crawlers i usually use them directly on the jig head. We went to a flyin once (McKinley Lake with Thunderhook) where crawlers were required. We bought a flat and the last day, we caught 3-4 walleye for each crawler using bits and pieces. Minnows are the natural bait for fish so it is hard to beat what fish feed on naturally. I usually dip them in beer. Wait, that was a joke, we never have beer in the boat.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Minnow

Jig, with twister tail. If slow, add a little meat (1/3 nightcrawler) and they are deadly. We go in August and this seems to outperform minnows for us. We refuse to bring minnows any more.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Slot Fish

Default twister tails and crawlers

Last trip to canada my sons and I bought minnows locally from a pond supplier -- real reasonably --- and salted them ourselves -- it was fun --- we packed @18 to a zip lok baggie - made @300 -- they weigh almost nothing and proved to be very durable and flexible -- the walleye loved them -- We modified a recipe we found on this site -- it was easy -- next time I'll add garlic like Golden Eagle suggested ---