Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dealing with the loss of your hunting buddy. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 09-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Wallhanger

Unhappy Dealing with the loss of your hunting buddy.

It'll be two weeks ago tomorrow that I had to let my hunting buddy go. Her name was Jasmine and she was about the best friend a guy could have, both at home and in the field. An English Setter that everyone who met her fell in love with and everyone who hunted with her was impressed with. She retired from field work at 10 years old and has lived the good life ever since. Then health problems started flairing up and worst case happen the Friday before last. Complications from old lungs and laryngeal paralysis caused her to suffer and I had to make "THAT" decision.

I'm having a tough time with her being gone. So many things I used to be responsible for are now gone from my daily routine. No more "potty the pup", no more feedings, worrying if she'll take her meds... and the list goes on. The worst is the deafening silence at night when I used to listen to her softly snoring at the foot of the bed.

Maybe my cheese has finally slid completely off my cracker but this is a lot tougher than I ever imagined. How to you folks deal with the loss of your dog?

In memory of Havelock Jasmine (1999 to 2011)

Rest easy little one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MyJasmine.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	11773  
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Been there a couple years ago, it was tougher than I ever imagined it gets easier as time passes. I feel for yah, I was the first one up and we had a routine, it was sad to not do it anymore. I still get sad when I read about losing these kind of partners.

Hang in there. Time will ease some of the pain.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Slot Fish

Moose, My condolences.. I've had to make the call twice, and it never will be easy for any dog I own. We have 2 dogs, and when I had to put my lab down, our beagle was roughly 6 years old. She's more like a cat, in that the only time she wanted attention was if you were eating. I needed to share my days with a more outgoing dog. I made it a whole 6 days after I put my lab down. I put my dog down on a monday in august, and by that sunday, I drove to game fair, and came home with my new buddy! It helped to ease the quick and unexpected loss of my lab. (We found out about 3 or 4 days before we put him down that he had a large tumor in his chest) When he quit eating, I knew it was time, because that dog loved to eat. Hang in there, and at some point, you'll remember more of the good times you had with your dog, rather than how much you miss her. Take Care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

So sorry for you loss. There are no words to make you feel better, but know that you certainly did the right thing for your best friend. Never second guess that.

I went through this last year with my beloved Golden, Jack, who died of cancer. Jill, my yellow lab who he left behind too, is turning 7 this month.

Jill is that "one that all others will be measured by" that, if we're lucky, we get once in a lifetime, and I will be a basket case when she goes to doggy heaven. I will be completely lost without her, but I know that they are only here for a short while, and I will have to find another to keep me company when she's gone.

Good dog parents are desperately needed for all the pups in this world, so if you find it in your heart, go and get another one to train and enjoy.

After all, "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face"....Ben Williams

The new pup won't take your Jasmine's place, but if allowed, can grow into a great dog in their own right. Don't miss out on that chance to love another.

Best wishes, and I can tell you only time will start to heal that broken heart of yours. As long as you have the ability to remember, she will always be walking by your side......just as my boy Jack does with me everyday.

Sending you an internet condolence (((((Hug))))))!

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 09-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Wallhanger

I offer my sincere condolences.

Been there, done that, gonna have to do it again in a year or so and it is already breaking my heart. My female Black Lab is my "once in a lifetime dog", is nearly 11, nearly totally blind, and still has the heart of a lion and is a true best friend and hunting companion. I am going to hunt her this year (very slowly and with lots of rests) as much as she can because she still loves it and it is probably her last. I don't know where the years went.

I found this to be the best way I have ever heard it put into words . So true --

"A dog does not live as long as a man and this natural law is the fount of many tears. If boy and puppy might grow to manhood and doghood together, and together grow old, and so in due course die, full many a heartache might be avoided. But the world is not so ordered, and dogs will die and men will weep for them so long as there are dogs and men."
-Ben Ames Williams

"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong
Old 09-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Moose
I am so sorry to hear about your loss, as a dog lover myself I can understand your grief.
I wish you all the best

Rebs
Old 09-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Keeper

Default celebrate the memories

I agree that you should share your love with another pup in good time. The new pup will not replace Jasmine, but your love for it will honor Jasmine. It might help to share a story or two and a pic of an important event that you did with her. I know that I would be interested.
My wife thought it would be neat to put a couple of my ducks next to the fountain on the floor. Ace, being 6 months old, could not resist chewing the bills off my canvas back and drake mallard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1170.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	477.8 KB
ID:	11781  
Old 09-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacywbosu View Post
My wife thought it would be neat to put a couple of my ducks next to the fountain on the floor. Ace, being 6 months old, could not resist chewing the bills off my canvas back and drake mallard.
Awwwww....he's a cutie! Can't get mad at a face like that...

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 09-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Minnow

It's always very tough.
I've tried every time to let time heal the big gaping wound left behind, but after a year it still won't heal. I buried my 1st best friend Buck under a huge Douglas Fir in an undisclosed location only accesible by boat on Lake Pillsbury, Ca. with his collar and bandana. I kept ALL his tags and pics.
Best Golden that ever fetched greenies in the world.

The only medicine for losing your best friend is to go find a pup and pull the trigger on it right away. You will never forget your best friend, but your new one will heal the pain.
My sympathies and condolences for your loss. But, GET A PUP!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

How to you folks deal with the loss of your dog?"

Time. Sometimes you have to shake yourself by the neck and realize how lucky you are it wasnt you or a human loved one.