Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger Boats Infinity Radios - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Wallhanger

The supplied radio antenna is very poor for reception in my experience. I added a Tune Trapper marine antenna. I just pulled the port side panel cleaned off a spot on the inside of the hull below the rod tubes and stuck it there.

http://www.tunetrapper.com/marine_antenna.html

There is another thread for the NMEA starter kits, but I'll post here as well. I did not particularly care for the "starter" kits on the market and multiple connections to join together so I chose this one:

https://bbgmarine.com/digital-yacht-...ter-cable-kit/

I plan to locate it under my helm. My Solix, Merc Monitor, and easy access power/ground are already nearby. The merc monitor has a drop already. the supplied drop will do the Solix and I just need the extension to get the radio connected.
Solix 12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Slot Fish

Great starter kit Diesel Pro. Highly recommend the 4 pot connector tees like posted. Much smaller and better supported connections.

On the 2080, I will bet your NMEA radio drop is under the helm. I did not order electronics on my 2080 and that is where mine was found.
Minnkota Ulterra 112 iPilot
Lowrance HDS LIVE 16
Lowrance HDS LIVE 9
VesselView LINK
VesselView MOBILE
Old 04-04-2019, 08:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shewstring View Post
Great starter kit Diesel Pro. Highly recommend the 4 pot connector tees like posted. Much smaller and better supported connections.

On the 2080, I will bet your NMEA radio drop is under the helm. I did not order electronics on my 2080 and that is where mine was found.

Did you have to extend the HB Ethernet cable from bow to helm or was that in place as well?
Solix 12
Old 04-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Wallhanger

I have the NMEA cable extended. I assume that I can just plug in like an extension cord to extend? I have the Merc Monitor located on the network. I cannot seem to find the Infinity radio though. I've seen a couple of threads discussing this, but nothing that seems to follow my setup. I do not see Fusion in the tools at all. Not sure if it has to detect a device first or what? That and is my extended connection OK?

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ghlight=fusion

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ghlight=fusion
Solix 12
Old 05-08-2019, 11:43 AM
Minnow

Only Fusion radio is compatible with a Solix. Infinity pv451 will not connect to a Solix via NMEA 2000
Old 05-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Wallhanger

Yeah another letdown from Bird. They apparently took the easy way out and partnered with a single source making it proprietary rather than creating the link themselves
Solix 12
Old 05-08-2019, 08:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shewstring View Post
For those of you who ordered the Radio package for your boats in the last couple years since Ranger has been using the Infinity PRV-451 Radios, there is a little nicety that you may be able to leverage. The PRV-451 radio is NMEA2K ready. Ranger has run a NMEA2K drop cable under your dash. It isn't labeled. If you running a humminbird Solix, Garmin series, or a Lowrance HDS (Carbon or LIVE), you have the audio controller. Plug the radio NMEA2K drop cable into your NMEA2K network, turn the Audio Server control functions on within your respective chartplotter, and you can fully control the radio right from the dash.

If you hooked this into the network, your chartplotter should show PRV451 in the network device list even with the audio server controls off.

My dealer had no clue what that cable was for. At least Ranger didn't cheap out on the cabling or unit itself.
Picked my 2080 up on Monday and looked for the cable under the dash. Found it up in the bow with a tee and one terminator end. I tied it into my NEMA backbone. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-12-2019, 07:43 AM
Slot Fish

No problem. I assume you are running Lowrance/Simrad electronics if it works? (Same as I) Wondering if anyone has hooked it with Garmin and knows if their control is more universal unlike Humminbird's?
Minnkota Ulterra 112 iPilot
Lowrance HDS LIVE 16
Lowrance HDS LIVE 9
VesselView LINK
VesselView MOBILE
Old 05-16-2019, 12:56 PM
Minnow

Diesel- How did the Tune Trapper antenna work for you? Was it worth the cost of the upgrade? I too find that the radio reception with the standard antenna is iffy.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkrum View Post
Diesel- How did the Tune Trapper antenna work for you? Was it worth the cost of the upgrade? I too find that the radio reception with the standard antenna is iffy.
The only head to head testing I did was inside the shop which is steel lined inside and out. Reception was very poor with the factory, but the tune trapper added at least 2 stations on the seek as I recall. I like it. I just finished routing the wires and mounting out in the gunnel so now I'll have to see again, but I expect it to do well.
Solix 12