Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
anybody running an Ultrex on walleye boat ? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-07-2020, 01:25 PM
Wallhanger

Default anybody running an Ultrex on walleye boat ?

I'm seriously considering getting rid of my ulterra. In open water trolling it is awesome, but in my multi species world, I spend a lot of time in the front of my boat, closer to shore and really miss cable drive steering in a lot of situations. I don't like spending much time on the ulterra foot pedal. It wears me out. To me, its just too busy and unresponsive compared to what I'm used to with a Fortrex on my other boat and 30 years of cable steer experience. Of course when I'm open water trolling, pulling boards, bottom bouncing the bass boat is in the garage.

My clown feet are constantly hitting multiple buttons, changing the mode and me having to concentrate on the TM instead of fishing. I can(and have many times) run down the same bank 2-3X more efficiently in my bass boat. Part of that is because the bass boat is built as an awesome flipping and casting platform, but part of that is because I don't have to ever look down at the pedal or TM head, fight the pedal lack of feel etc.

anyway, It appears with the Ultrex , I can do anything in the open water with the Ultrex that I can with the Ulterra, but I can do a lot more with the Ultrex in closer to shore. I get that I wont have eletronic deploy and stow, electronic trim..but with Ultrex I would have spot lock, I'd be able to steer the TM from anywhere in the boat so can 4WD troll....really that's all I want out of a TM off shore..spot lock, remote steer and speed control of TM.

Am I on track? Is the 60" TM shaft enough ?

Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited by kswalleyer; 08-07-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2020, 03:10 PM
Wallhanger

Isn't that what the Lindner's mostly run? I think they qualify as multi-species anglers.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:35 PM
Wallhanger

I run a 24v Ultrex on my old Fisher fx18dv,...

LOVE it!!!

Old school cable steer when I want to use it like that,..

And the remote when trolling is awesome as well,...

It really is the best of both worlds,...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2020, 05:55 PM
Minnow

I have an Ultrex on a Triton 216 Fishunter and I’m very happy with it. I know there are quite a few people with Ultrex’s on their 621s and they have no problems.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Larson View Post
I run a 24v Ultrex on my old Fisher fx18dv,...

LOVE it!!!

Old school cable steer when I want to use it like that,..

And the remote when trolling is awesome as well,...

It really is the best of both worlds,...
So wish they made a 72" Ultrex- loved all my old cable steer motors when fishing stumps and slop( I still bass fish too).
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 08-08-2020, 05:23 AM
Wallhanger

thanks folks!
Old 08-08-2020, 12:01 PM
Wallhanger

I’m going to look into them as well for ours. I had an old cable drive Minnkota 74# 24v on my 692. I never had one problem with that bow mount. Nothing...ever. Spotlock is really the only thing I can think of that would be an improvement over what I used to have.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
I’m going to look into them as well for ours. I had an old cable drive Minnkota 74# 24v on my 692. I never had one problem with that bow mount. Nothing...ever. Spotlock is really the only thing I can think of that would be an improvement over what I used to have.
there are times I want my 621 to handle a bit more like a bass boat when I'm upfront...not flooded timber bass boat, but very intuitive and almost and extension of my body bass boat. I can run it blindfolded. For that I think the Ultrex is really tough to beat, especially when I'm fishing a bank a 1/4 mile down a shore line close in and able to turn on a dime.

Other times I want to be off shore trolling, vertical fishing....structure, flats, whatever

I think the Ultrex gives me the best of both of those worlds...

Kinda like precision rifles..always chasing perfection....

Last edited by kswalleyer; 08-08-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalleyer View Post
I'm seriously considering getting rid of my ulterra. In open water trolling it is awesome, but in my multi species world, I spend a lot of time in the front of my boat, closer to shore and really miss cable drive steering in a lot of situations. I don't like spending much time on the ulterra foot pedal. It wears me out. To me, its just too busy and unresponsive compared to what I'm used to with a Fortrex on my other boat and 30 years of cable steer experience. Of course when I'm open water trolling, pulling boards, bottom bouncing the bass boat is in the garage.

My clown feet are constantly hitting multiple buttons, changing the mode and me having to concentrate on the TM instead of fishing. I can(and have many times) run down the same bank 2-3X more efficiently in my bass boat. Part of that is because the bass boat is built as an awesome flipping and casting platform, but part of that is because I don't have to ever look down at the pedal or TM head, fight the pedal lack of feel etc.

anyway, It appears with the Ultrex , I can do anything in the open water with the Ultrex that I can with the Ulterra, but I can do a lot more with the Ultrex in closer to shore. I get that I wont have eletronic deploy and stow, electronic trim..but with Ultrex I would have spot lock, I'd be able to steer the TM from anywhere in the boat so can 4WD troll....really that's all I want out of a TM off shore..spot lock, remote steer and speed control of TM.

Am I on track? Is the 60" TM shaft enough ?

Thanks for your thoughts
I had my 4 year old Terrova go crazy on me friday while dragging my boat through a very narrow rocky opening to a lake. I was at the front of the boat using the foot pedal and it just starting turning right at max speed, almost threw the boat on the rocks. Only way I saved it was by kneeling down turning the head with both hands. I do a lot of bass fishing and am installing an Ultrex on my ProV as we speak. I have grown to hate the terrova for bass fishing on LOTW.

I got to fish with Jeff Gustafson from the Bassmaster Elite series last year and asked by about Ultrex vs Ulterra/Terrova and his comment was he had no idea why anyone used either of them. They turn very slowly, are very chunky to use with the foot pedal while casting shortlines and either can troll or spotlock for jigging. The 60" I have now is all good except in really big waves.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Old 08-10-2020, 12:30 PM
Wallhanger

Default ultrex

I run an Ultrex w/80lbs on my Yarcraft and love it. I fish out of the front/back and the cable gives me instant turn when I'm casting out of the bow and I can still use the remote out of the back to run boards/etc when I'm trolling or bottom bouncing or if I have 3 or 4 guys with multiple lines. I highly recommend it.