Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
E-TEC comparing trolling and fuel economy to Yammy - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 03-02-2019, 09:08 AM
Wallhanger

Default E-TEC comparing trolling and fuel economy to Yammy

Very Good Info for those considering a E-TEC 2 stroke for power AND Fuel Economy . . .

[url]https://www.boattest.com/view-news/5919_trolling_speed_efficiency[/url]
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 09:10 AM
Wallhanger

If I wanted economy i'd buy a canoe. If I wanted a 2 stroke i'd buy a E-Tec.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:32 AM
Wallhanger

Cool but if buying a 300 I doubt anyone cares about trolling or mpg
Maybe a tad at 3k+ rpms
BT terrova link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Engine hours

Sure you save on fuel with the Etech, but you get put an insane amount of hours out of the Yamaha. So in the long run the cost of owning each would likely be the same.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:01 PM
Slot Fish

Etecs donít burn much fuel because they donít run much. Boattest.com is an evinrude advertisement and far from an unbiased 3rd party.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:12 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Ver88;6294636]Etecs donít burn much fuel because they donít run much. Boattest.com is an evinrude advertisement and far from an unbiased 3rd party.[/QUOTE]

Keep believing that while those E-TEC's pass you to the hot spots....... :rockit:

BTW take a look here and you will seen BoatTest.com does EVERY kind of boat and engine or do you still not believe it . . . LOL

[url]https://boattest.com/[/url]
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-03-2019, 06:52 AM
Keeper

Why does this topic always draw out the emotional and childish responses. This post is quit mild compared to others.

Feels like grade school or better yet today’s political landscape when some can’t critically think and an absurd emotional response comes into play trying to defend their position.

It’s clean to me there are two technologies that are successful and I’m glad as that promotes more options for a consumer. As to which is best I think that depends on your buying criteria and can vary by consumer.

I loved my four stroke Yamahas and now have a G2. Loved them all, Yamahas were flawless quiet and smooth. G2 had some teething problems out of the box that were resolved and has tremendous power, fuel efficiency and I like the steering system.

I don’t know if comparing fuel efficiency is quit apples to apples but it feels significantly better. My 2010 F150 was on a ranger 1860 and my 2017 G2 is on an 1880. Given the G2 is giving me roughly 50 more HP but is also 7 years newer it burned less gas in my yearly Canada trip.

Both are great but one has to at least be impressed at how far teonstoke texhnology has come.

I would love to have a season with the new Merc and bet I’d be equally impressed based on all the reviews.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:11 PM
Slot Fish

[QUOTE=Ver88;6294636]Etecs donít burn much fuel because they donít run much. Boattest.com is an evinrude advertisement and far from an unbiased 3rd party.[/QUOTE]

I have nothing against Yamaha, but it's Ford VS. Chevy. My folks had Evinrudes when I was a kid we water skied every summer weekend in the late 50's & 60's until I got married. All we did to those motors, fuel, spark plugs, lower unit oil, and an occasional prop. 2004 I bought my current boat new with my 1st Merc, reed valve through the piston, starter, covered under warranty. After warranty expired, another starter, then the wiring harness. 1st and last Merc, 2006 back to Evinrude, haven't looked back.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

To be honest, I don't remember the last time I got passed by an E-Tec. There just aren't many out there on the water and I hardly ever see one. 80-90% of the motors I see are either Mercury or Yamaha. I see more E-Tecs at boat shows than I do while out fishing.
Minn Kota Terrova
Lowrance Elite 7Ti
Cisco rod holders
Old 03-04-2019, 10:53 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Bobby Winds;6294674]Keep believing that while those E-TEC's pass you to the hot spots....... :rockit:

BTW take a look here and you will seen BoatTest.com does EVERY kind of boat and engine or do you still not believe it . . . LOL

[url]https://boattest.com/[/url][/QUOTE]

Dude... Come on. That's not even the same as what he said. I can be sponsored by Brand X and give glowing reviews on their products but also review Brand Z and bash them because they're a direct competitor of Brand X which pays my bills. Come on man!

And E-TEC's don't pass me because they're still on the trailer trying to get them to start. And if you ONLY count the cost of fuel, you're probably right. But throw in the expensive oil to run and it's probably a wash or maybe leaning in the other direction.

Look, everyone on this site knows who you are and that you ALWAYS say your stuff don't stink. Do you really need to keep preaching it though? :stirthepot: