Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Electric car - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2019, 06:30 AM
Wallhanger

Default Electric car

Thinking about replacing the wife's car in about a year. The electric cars are interesting. Just curious has anybody bought one and if so are you happy. What are the draw backs, if any? She only uses her car around town for short trips, so every nite its back in the garage to get recharged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 05:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffishman View Post
Thinking about replacing the wife's car in about a year. The electric cars are interesting. Just curious has anybody bought one and if so are you happy. What are the draw backs, if any? She only uses her car around town for short trips, so every nite its back in the garage to get recharged.
Snow.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:49 AM
Wallhanger

Considering the lack of response, I guess there are no electric car guys here. Interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 05:53 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

I have no interest in any vehicle that would fit inside my boat. Although........I do have a electric golf cart so I guess i'm doing my part for society.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:39 AM
Wallhanger

I do not own one, but have heard great things about them. Technology on them is advancing everyday. The only down side, and I don't think it at all will be a downside for you wife is the extremes of weather. If it is hot out and you want to run the air conditioner, the energy comes from the battery. If it is cold out and you need to run the heater, seat warmer, heated steering wheel and the defroster, then it comes from the battery. For just running around town and back home to get plugged in for those extremes you will never worry about running out of battery life. I think it is an awesome purchase. Joe
Old 06-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

they are awesome, i know a few guys with awd teslas... they are great in snow. Very smart traction control tech on them.

around town no range anxiety. i say go for it.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Wallhanger

I see the draw, but I'm curious vs the payoff side vs the cost side of the equation, when you consider costs per mile, battery replacement, the life of the vehicle and the cost to generate the electricity. Not trying to turn it into a debate, but I've got a coworker that's long on the brag about how he's doing good for the environment. I keep pointing out to him that his actions require additional use of fossil fuels by guys like me with diesel trucks and 5th wheel campers and boats to keep the environment in harmonic balance.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalleye1 View Post
I see the draw, but I'm curious vs the payoff side vs the cost side of the equation, when you consider costs per mile, battery replacement, the life of the vehicle and the cost to generate the electricity. Not trying to turn it into a debate, but I've got a coworker that's long on the brag about how he's doing good for the environment. I keep pointing out to him that his actions require additional use of fossil fuels by guys like me with diesel trucks and 5th wheel campers and boats to keep the environment in harmonic balance.
there is a ton of research on this, you can do your own... but in short, where i live, including all the resources used to manufacture a 100kw battery, and auto to put it in, along with all the power to power that car, it would pay itself off from a carbon standpoint in 2.7 years given 10,000 miles/year.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:50 PM
Wallhanger

You will likely need a dedicated 240 volt circuit to power the charger depending on her daily use and time between charges.

They will charge on 120 volts, but it's really really slow....

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins
Old 06-03-2019, 02:11 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

The city installed charging stations here in town. Free to use. Well, that is unless you count what your wife would spend in the local stores waiting for a charge.