Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Paul Harvey - The Rest of the Story - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 06:23 PM
Keeper

In addition 65 years ago many of us were farm kids. Because of that we only had radio in the barns we listened to while milking and doing chores.. I sure can relate to this comment.. Always appreciated Mr. Harvey for his reverence to farmers and rural America..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2020, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
Is it just me being a 65 year old or are radio and TV personalities not what they used to be? What has happened to the Paul Harveys and Walter Cronkites of broadcasting. I always had great respect and trust in what was said by broadcasters then, now they all seem to be partisan blather.
It's just how times have changed. Now, everyone wants to be spoon fed and hear what they want to hear, not the truth that may disagree with their perceptions or what they would like to believe. People now gravitate toward what makes them feel all warm and fuzzy and what matches their beliefs and biases. Truth and fact make people uncomfortable these days. If someone presents facts to them they don't like, they attack the messenger, turn them off, then go back to the source that tells them what they want to hear.

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 01-25-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
When we were kids you only got the news on a black & white TV, Radio or Newspaper. With TV you had ABC, CBS,NBC to choose from plus usually 1 independent in your market. No Fox, no CNN no cable or internet outlets of today. So you are correct. There is no super star announcer anymore as there no longer is a concentration of viewers / listeners.

In addition 65 years ago many of us were farm kids. Because of that we only had radio in the barns we listened to while milking and doing chores.
You old guys and your nostalgia crack me up.

I'm a "thirty something" (37)......and I remember listening to Paul Harvey in the barn while milking cows too. Way back in the early 1990's lol

We had a colored TV in the living room and I had a black and white TV in my bedroom. Bunny ears on both with ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS and PBS. No cable in the country. We couldn't afford a satellite dish. My buddy's parents had one, it was the size of a Cadillac hood and mounted on a 4" steel pipe.

Internet and cell phones didn't exist.

We got the local paper and whatever radio stations were in reception.

Way back in 1994 things were different. Now get off my lawn

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins

Last edited by B-man; 01-25-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
Is it just me being a 65 year old or are radio and TV personalities not what they used to be? What has happened to the Paul Harveys and Walter Cronkites of broadcasting. I always had great respect and trust in what was said by broadcasters then, now they all seem to be partisan blather.
Now it's almost impossible to become a TV or Radio Icon when it comes to announcing the "News" because so much of it is either twisted, slanted or outright FAKE news. When viewers realize they have been lied to by the main media, they tend to not trust the talking heads so much like when the Cronkite's and Harvey's were on the air.

"And that's the rest of the story"

Good Day
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 01-26-2020, 10:45 AM
Keeper

Exactly - That is why Paul Harvey, Walter Cronkite and Billy Graham were such treasures- it didn't matter what religion or political affiliation you were, they reported and said what needed to be said and you could relate to it.