Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
E-TEC Won't Run Above 2800 RPM - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 08-01-2017, 07:53 AM
Wallhanger

Default E-TEC Won't Run Above 2800 RPM

I posted this on etecownersgroup.com yesterday morning and have no replies, so I'm trying here.

Last weekend while trolling, my 50HP E-TEC would "hiccup" every minute or so. The RPMs would momentarily drop a few hundred, then go back to normal. Things got worse a few days ago. While heading back to the ramp, it would only give me 2800 RPM at WOT. We were going 6mph on the way in compared to 23 on the way out. If I gently shifted into forward gear, the motor would die. I had to quickly shift to high throttle just to keep it going.

After we got close to the ramp, I shut it down and pumped the primer bulb. After pumping as much as I could, the motor started up and ran normally for maybe 30 seconds and then fell back to 2800 RPMs again. It seems the motor is not getting enough fuel.

Model: E50DPLSCB

Any ideas on what the problem might be? Are there things I can check out myself, or does this sound like something I should go straight to a mechanic for? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by brad34; 08-01-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2017, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Brad,
Something is going on with the motor that is causing the motor to go into limp mode and is limiting the motor to 2800 rpm.

Take it in now - to have it repaired and do not run it without a correct repair on the motor.

Good luck
Old 08-02-2017, 01:55 PM
Minnow

Check the fuel pressure,make sure that your fuel primer bulb and line is holding the proper pressure. Don't take it out and fish with it until you have the problem solved!!! Etec's are a great motor with very little that goes wrong with them.

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Wallhanger

Thank you for the replies guys.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Minnow

I would start by replacing the plugs