Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Filleting walleyes-pin bones - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2020, 07:51 PM
Minnow

You ever get one of them small bones between a tooth and the gum. Bugger to get out and can get sore after a while. That's the reason I like to take out that small 'zipper line'. Just a consideration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2020, 07:14 PM
Keeper

I zip all mine no matter the size. In January we cleaned and ate some smaller ones. My buddy didn't zip the ones he cleaned. Well I ate one of his and got a pin bone stuck sideways in the back of my throat. Bread and hacking didn't help. Finally I stood in front of a mirror with a flashlight and my needlenose fishing pliers and pulled it out.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-man View Post
My half azzed rule:

Over 15"- ZIP

Under 15"- no zip
Guess that is why I zipper all. Minimum 18" here! I also bleed them out. Less mess. On the way back I cut them and pull the livewell plug. almost all the juices get flushed out before cleaning. Nice white meat besides. Hot weather they go in the cooler after bleeding. 70 or 80 degree water in the livewell for hours doesn't help the taste. Bob