Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ramp n Clamp - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2020, 07:55 AM
Wallhanger

Default Ramp n Clamp

I didn't want to jump the Dorotto post but I have a couple RnC questions. I have a Shorelander Profile trailer and a 503SH RnC. I know it's the proper one from talking to RnC. A friend gave it to me when bought the wrong one and couldn't make it work. He's one of those guys that never sends anything back, great for me. This doesn't look like it will effect the post or transom location at all and even if it does it will only be very minimal if at all. Besides this trailer is easy to move the post an inch if needed. The website says they send an extended bow eye included with the unit. Anybody know what's a standard eye and an extended eye as far as measurements? Looking on the internet eyes can be purchased fairly inexpensively. If anyone has one of these they know the instructions are minimal. It says to put the boat in the water (off the trailer) but I'm not sure that's even necessary on a bunk trailer. Do I just put the RnC on the way the bow will hit it when loading? It looks like it must get tightened down and not move, is that right? My friend went to a Dorotto and love it but I'm sure willing to try this, with my 17 foot Explorer it looks like installation will be easy if I have the proper eye and I'm right that they sit tightened to the support like I think. It's actually just a replacement for the roller. I'm interested to hear others experience with a Ramp n Clamp. Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2020, 12:58 PM
Wallhanger

No Ramp N Clamp owners on here?
Old 04-17-2020, 07:29 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Hate to admit it but it's the first I've heard of it.
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2020, 06:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Hate to admit it but it's the first I've heard of it.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 04-18-2020, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg View Post
I didn't want to jump the Dorotto post but I have a couple RnC questions. I have a Shorelander Profile trailer and a 503SH RnC. I know it's the proper one from talking to RnC. A friend gave it to me when bought the wrong one and couldn't make it work. He's one of those guys that never sends anything back, great for me. This doesn't look like it will effect the post or transom location at all and even if it does it will only be very minimal if at all. Besides this trailer is easy to move the post an inch if needed. The website says they send an extended bow eye included with the unit. Anybody know what's a standard eye and an extended eye as far as measurements? Looking on the internet eyes can be purchased fairly inexpensively. If anyone has one of these they know the instructions are minimal. It says to put the boat in the water (off the trailer) but I'm not sure that's even necessary on a bunk trailer. Do I just put the RnC on the way the bow will hit it when loading? It looks like it must get tightened down and not move, is that right? My friend went to a Dorotto and love it but I'm sure willing to try this, with my 17 foot Explorer it looks like installation will be easy if I have the proper eye and I'm right that they sit tightened to the support like I think. It's actually just a replacement for the roller. I'm interested to hear others experience with a Ramp n Clamp. Thank you for any advice.
Yes the roller comes off, you semi tighten to the angle that is close after boat loaded tighten all the way., I think standard is 1”
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 04-18-2020, 06:59 AM
Wallhanger

Being the careful shopper that I am, when considering buying a Drotto, I looked at the ramp n clamp. At that time Gander Mountain carried them. If I remember, with the ramp n clamp you had to replace your boat's bow eye with an elongated one, the Drotto on the other hand was plug and play basically,
it took just minutes to install. They sold for as I recall about $169. The Drotto was in the mid two hundreds. This was four years ago and nobody around here had either one. I checked the online reviews, the majority of the ramp n clamp reviews said that they broke in use. I spent the few extra dollars and went with the Drotto. I have never regretted my decision, it has always performed flawlessly.

Mark

Last edited by andersaki; 04-18-2020 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:38 AM
Wallhanger

I hadn't heard of them either. Did some searches and didn't like what I found including: complaints of durability, the way the release mechanism works (too low) and the videos of loading.

The latch seems like it's designed for people who never have a trolling motor on the bow.

Maybe the people loading were really bad at it but I didn't see any good ones from the company itself. And the ones I saw hit the winch stand so hard they pushed it about an inch. Ouch. They were bigger glass boats on bunks and that may have been the difference but, they were also all in so deep that it appeared you had to hit the latch with considerable force to activate it.

For my purposes the Drotto seems like a better design.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:02 AM
Keeper

I have been looking at the ramp n clamp and contacted the company a few days ago. I asked them what model I needed for my boat and if I had to replace my bow eye. My boat is a 2018 Ranger 2080. I was told the sport model was what I needed and with the long handle price was 189.00. Also it would move my boat back on the trailer 1.25inches.

I have not purchased one yet. I've been watching this post looking to see what others say. The reason I am looking at the ramp n clamp over the drotto is I'm concerned the drotto will damage my finish and it will set the boat further back on the trailer.

Either unit will move my boat back on the trailer. I looked at my trailer and the transom support is from a channel iron extension that the bunk fastens to. So moving your bunk back wouldn't add much support, you'd have to add a extension to the vertical bracket which the bunk mounts to and them move your bunks back.

So I am still undecided and will continue to watch this post for others experinces.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:57 AM
Minnow

I had one it worked great, it was on a ranger R97.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:01 AM
Minnow

latched every time, released like it should and the only thing you need to do is keep it lubed with WD on the actual rubber part. You didn't need to ram it hard for it to lock, however it was very quite and unlike my boat buddy I had you can hardly hear it latch but if you back off the throttle you can check by feeling the boat not move back. I would get another one. I had a Ghost on the front and was never an issue. hope this helps.