Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund Storage lid bending - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 11-21-2016, 05:59 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with adding some type of brace/stiffener to the bottom. Guys that modify Jon boats do that all the time to strengthen the various mods. they do to them.
Here's a deck extension I made for mine, solid as a rock!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	491.9 KB
ID:	234073  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

After I posted earlier I got to thinking. My old Lund Rebel has wood lids on those same compartments. Replacing the aluminum factory door with one of solid wood then covering it in plastic might be the easiest and most durable fix. If the aluminum doors are three quarter of an inch thick, it's an easy fix. Use the original lid as a template to cut the wood.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 11-24-2016, 06:39 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Sask Alaskan View Post
I got this boat (2008 Alaskan 2000 DC) in August of this year and have done a few repairs and improvements already. I love the size and rough water capability of the boat after coming from a Lund S18. The side storage is great but the lids don't seem as strong as I would like when someone steps there to enter or exit the boat. Does anyone have an idea to stiffen the lids?
Are they bent already?? Or are you just worried about it?

My old 2001 Lund Rebel-V has aluminum lids on the side storage , front deck storage,as well as the front center livewell. Never had an issue. I do however avoid stepping in and out ,right in the center of those side lids which are the longest,, and I instruct guests to do the same. But there are always some that don't listen. But in 16 years, never really had a problem with any of the lids. They are probably stronger than we might think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2016, 06:53 AM
Minnow

You're probably right. I've only had the boat a couple of months and the flex I feel when stepping on the lid has me worried but maybe it's unjustified. I don't want to tell people not to step there so I may just add reinforcement to ease my mind.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:44 AM
Slot Fish

It looks to be well supported on 3 sides. I would think the weak area would be at the hinge. You cold temporally mock up a piece of wood to support that area in the middle of the hinge, see if that takes the flex out and have an alum support bracket made. If the lid its self flexes run a piece of angle iron down the middle for support.
HB Helix 8 MDI front
HB Helix 9 MSI console