Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How many of you live within 100 miles of Madison, WI? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 06:24 PM
Wallhanger

Default How many of you live within 100 miles of Madison, WI?

Anonymouse will bump this thread from time to time to catch some of the more infrequent visitors here.

How many of you live within 100 miles of Madison, WI?

Curious to see how many are familiar with fishing these lakes at all - or is Anonymouse like the lone ex-spurt and go-to guide for these parts?
(Kinda hoping to discover someone that knows a secret spot here that 47 years of roving the 3 lakes hasn't uncovered yet.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2020, 07:10 PM
Keeper

Default Live within 100 miles

I live within 100 miles of Madison, but it's so much easier and exciting to hook a large walleye on Green Bay. You may have to keep a closer eye on the weather because of the size of the water, but that isn't a problem, You just have to choose your days.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean View Post
I live within 100 miles of Madison, but it's so much easier and exciting to hook a large walleye on Green Bay. You may have to keep a closer eye on the weather because of the size of the water, but that isn't a problem, You just have to choose your days.
Same and agreed. Madison not that hot.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2020, 07:30 PM
Wallhanger

Not a lake, but I could guide you on the Lemonweir River above the dam in Mauston. Grew up on that river as a kid....every summer until I reached adulthood. Had a lot of good ice fishing adventures on it as well with my Grandfather.

PjShorthorn
Old 09-17-2020, 08:01 PM
Wallhanger

I'm between Madison and Winnebago and I would rather fish Winnebago system.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:16 PM
Slot Fish

Born and raised 30 minutes northwest of the city. Used to love the place. Now a little east of pokey and agree with him 100%. I try to stay out of Madison unless I have to go there.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:09 PM
Wallhanger

I live exactly 5 miles from Olbrich park boat ramp, we used it 1 time this summer and that was to do a shake down cruise on the boat my son and I refurbished over the winter and spring. Fishing those lakes in the summer is like fishing the dead sea, particularly for walleye. You can find a school of nice bluegill but they move with the wind. And as soon as the sun comes up the pleasure boaters and jet skiers take over, and let's not even get started on the weed and algae blooms.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:53 PM
Wallhanger

Don't live within 100 miles but live in Chicagoland and spent 10 or so years of my childhood fishing Kegonsa from mid 70's to mid 80's. That place used to be a fish factory and just for old times sake I keep an eye on the place. It's a shadow of what it once was. Still have many great memories of all the great trips to Crown point resort. Dorothy Brown( rip) of Browns bait was a legend on that lake , glad that my grandfather and father were friends of hers, and she could put an edge on your fillet knife like no other. In any case I agree with others that there are more attractive waters to fish than that Yahara river system in the same vicinity. I would like nothing more than to have Kegonsa restored to what it once was but sadly I don't think it will ever happen.
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance autopilot
Navico Precision-9
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3d
2 72" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
8 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 09-17-2020, 11:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspencreek View Post
I live exactly 5 miles from Olbrich park boat ramp, we used it 1 time this summer and that was to do a shake down cruise on the boat my son and I refurbished over the winter and spring. Fishing those lakes in the summer is like fishing the dead sea, particularly for walleye. You can find a school of nice bluegill but they move with the wind. And as soon as the sun comes up the pleasure boaters and jet skiers take over, and let's not even get started on the weed and algae blooms.
We call Monona "The Playpen".
Barely 4 miles west to east and some cigarette boat owners think it's Miami Vice drug run territory.
JeBUS, they can barely get up on plane before they have to shut down or run right into the Olbrich shoreline.

Swear, there just ain't any fish in Monona except little bluegills in Squaw Bay (now renamed Wicawak Bay, the Ho-Chunk word for muskrat, so nobody gets offended) & over by the mouth of the Yahara off the outside of the bar there.
In fact the place is teeming with 50"+ hybrid Tiger muskie, northern, perch, and 'gills but they don't seem to like the smell of Anonymouse's bait for some reason.

Mendota, that's a whole 'nuther story...they be monsters in that lake - unreal demons the size of submarines that can eat a man in one gulp. (Is a little poetic license allowed here?)
Even has it's own "Messie - aka Bozho, the lake monster".
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/o...cc4c002e0.html

Scuba divers report Lake Sturgeon over 7' here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKqb...dU&app=desktop
Once met a fella one night at the bank fishin' hole who was carrying a newspaper clipping about how he caught a fine when the warden showed up after the monster towed his boat clear across Warner Bay from Governor's Island to the boat landing. (They be protected here.)

Brad, a carpenter out of Milwaukee that once worked for Anonymouse on a huge mall project, caught a 14" bluegill in Mendota when Anonymouse took him out ice fishin' after work one day.
('Taint nuffin' to see those if you knows where to find 'em in Mendota.)
Brad carried that 'gill around in the back of his pickmeup for 3 weeks, showing it off to everyone he met.

Twice saw an upper half of a dead giant fish, (muskie or northern cut in half by a boat prop no doubt), that could easily have accommodated a man's thigh in their open rictus-set jaws.

Anonymouse & his bestie once tried to force feed an enormous northern in the Yahara entrance to the Tenney Locks before they were open in the early spring.
It paced almost 5', measured against the dock we were playing around on catching tiny walleye fry to take home in a 40 and put in the aquarium.
The thingy had a smaller male along trying to get lucky that measured about 30" and looked like a minnow next to that old sow.
Refraction might have made it look a little larger than it actually was, but not by much in 4' of icy cold water.

The WI state record through the ice on a tip-up northern came out of Mendota the first morning of a percheree Anonymouse had entered in the 80s.
49.5", if remembered correctly.
It's mounted and on display at the D&S Bait Shop on Northport Drive.
Not sure if this is the actual picture of that fish but it's in the D&S Bait Shop's online photo album. http://www.dsbait.com/photo-album/

Jist sayin', oh, yeah, here be monsters, a'right.
Madison lakes might not be the most preferred but you see a few thingys here over 47 years that make for honest-to-goodness great campfire stories - like multiple "3-guys in a boat catching 200+ Walleyes" days & pound and a half white bass so plentiful peeps were dumping whole limits of 50 in the trash cans at the landing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D&S northern pic.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	321482  

Last edited by Anonymouse; 09-18-2020 at 12:51 AM.