Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Uni knot troubles - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-10-2020, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

Default Uni knot troubles

I've used a double uni for floro leaders to braid main line for a few years. Been doing this on 12 lb stuff and under, works great.
Now I'm trying to use a basic uni on 17 lb mono directly to a hook. For the life of me I can't tie this without curling the line. This is Trilene XL, lubracated before cinching, an properly tied. Any help here for me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15943910887942159255259387277996_1594391110924.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	320202  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2020, 11:51 AM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin Bender View Post
I've used a double uni for floro leaders to braid main line for a few years. Been doing this on 12 lb stuff and under, works great.
Now I'm trying to use a basic uni on 17 lb mono directly to a hook. For the life of me I can't tie this without curling the line. This is Trilene XL, lubracated before cinching, an properly tied. Any help here for me?
When cinching down the knot, I always do it slowly with a lubricated line while pulling the tag end and using my hand to work the knot down tight....obviously, the thicker the diameter line I'm using (particularly with mono or fluoro) the slower the knot should be cinched and more lubricated the knot should be while clinching tight.
I like to use either a Trilene knot or Palomar knot for what you are tying to....either way, slow down, keep the line lubed and work the knot carefully...also, with thicker diameter lines, I like to have more line initially (a longer tag) before I start wrapping....allow more line to work with and go slow!
Old 07-10-2020, 12:32 PM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

It's a bit difficult to tell in the picture, but it appears that the original poster is tying to a swivel that is integral with the hook. If so, I would also be using a Palomar or Trilene knot in such a situation.

I commonly use the uni-knot for snelling a hook. I try to take up as much loose line through the tag end, rather than pulling loose line within the knot towards the mainline. I also use saliva to lubricate the line when cinching down the knot.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2020, 12:49 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
Greetings,

It's a bit difficult to tell in the picture, but it appears that the original poster is tying to a swivel that is integral with the hook. If so, I would also be using a Palomar or Trilene knot in such a situation.

I commonly use the uni-knot for snelling a hook. I try to take up as much loose line through the tag end, rather than pulling loose line within the knot towards the mainline. I also use saliva to lubricate the line when cinching down the knot.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Yes, I also use a uni-knot for snelling e.g. an Octopus hook (where the Eye of the hook is not in-line with the shank)...it keeps the hook straight when setting the hook allowing for a better hookset!
Old 07-10-2020, 12:50 PM
Wallhanger

I've found that with heavier line, either mono or fluoto, I have better luck with the trilene knot, lots of lubrication and pulling the knot tight using the tag end, as much as possible. I also agree that slow and steady produces the best result.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:19 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandm View Post
I've found that with heavier line, either mono or fluoto, I have better luck with the trilene knot, lots of lubrication and pulling the knot tight using the tag end, as much as possible. I also agree that slow and steady produces the best result.
Yeah, slow and steady and doing it correctly the first try takes less time than going fast and having to retie two or maybe three times (especially at night or in low light conditions)....plus you are not wasting line...and yeah, I know some might think that not much line is wasted it you have to retie, but, over the course of time it all adds up!
Old 07-10-2020, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

For tying mono or floro to a hook or swivel, the palamor knot works very very very well and is tied up very very very quickly.

Take care
Old 07-10-2020, 03:34 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
For tying mono or floro to a hook or swivel, the palamor knot works very very very well and is tied up very very very quickly.

Take care
Maybe I'm wrong, but every time I read a response by you it comes across as if you think you are so much smarter than everyone...the op was basically asking, what am I doing wrong? Your answer to me is as if you are trying to reject the idea of taking ones time to ensure a good knot is tied without compromising the integrity of the line....when I (and I'm sure the others that recommended as well) said to take your time, I didn't literally mean spend 15 minutes....just take your time...no need to do it very, very, very very,very quickly! Your answer did include an option on a different knot to use, but, it didn't offer any insight as to why the op's knot probably failed or turned out as it did...do you have a problem with recommending to the op to take their time?
Old 07-10-2020, 05:21 PM
Wallhanger

I cinch up the knot loosely by pulling on the tag end, then hold the main line and slide the knot down to the hook. Cinch it up a little tighter, slide it down again. When you can't slide it down any more, pull on the main line to tighten the coils.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 07-10-2020, 06:33 PM
Wallhanger

Obviously best to fix the problem but when you do get twisty line, run the line though your fingers until it heats up. Lines straightens out nicely. I do this to check for nicks/abrasion as well.