Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
186 Tyee Gl Lund vs 1850 Reata - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Minnow

Default 186 Tyee Gl Lund vs 1850 Reata

Does anyone have any idea how a 186 tyee gl lund compares to a ranger reata as far as how it handles on the water? Any other comparisons are welcome. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Wallhanger

I think you are going to get a lot of personal opinions on why their brand of boat is better. If at all possible, you have to walk through both and more importantly get on the water in both boats. I may have considered the Lund boat, but the dealer in my area is a joke!! First year that boat was out and he was braggin about how great and so much better it was without probably knowing anything at all. Not a popular dealer anyway. I think either boat would be a great choice so you really can't lose. Compare what kind of dealers you have in your area and see what kind of numbers you can get??
Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Wallhanger

Who cares what we think your going to get biased opinions from Lund guys and Ranger guys, go visit a Lund dealer and a Ranger dealer crawl around each boat get a feel for them, the layout, the fit and finish, fishability, storage etc. Then go take each one for a test drive. Then you decide on what you want to buy. The good news is your looking at two quality boats by quality companies so no wrong answer exists, do whats right for you not what some guys on the internet said, our opinion only guys so far.

Now go buy a Ranger J/K. Do the above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Wallhanger

My best advice, get them on the water and do your own comparison. That's the only real way to know. Spend time in both in real world conditions.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

I personally dont own either but have fished/rode in both.

I would have to give the ranger the edge in rough water ride. The lund was faster on the gps but that could be a proping issue.

I cant comment on storage....wasnt paying attention to that as they werent my boat.

Either boat is going to be a good pick.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Minnow

I went with the reata, mainly for the price. My neighbor paid nearly 60 000 for his Lund two years ago with a 175 Vrod and basic options. My reata with nearly 10000 of options was 46000. Lunds are popular around here and there wasn't many Lund fiberglass boats around at the time. The boats are quite similar, so I would go with the best deal or best dealer for service.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Minnow

I just recently went with the Lund. I rode in both last summer and finally pulled the trigger this spring. Actually thought they had similar rides, both great boats, similarly priced.

It was the little things, mainly from my wife, that tipped the scale. The deeper bow for when the kids are riding up front, the comfort of the rear flip seats, the dash configuration, and drains in the in-floor cup holders, something about the carpet cutouts for the seat pedestals.

Like others mentioned just go see each one and sit in all the seats, open all of the compartments, and definitely take a test ride in each. You should have a favorite after doing all of that.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Keeper

Both are great boat's. I spent 2 year's drooling over the Reata and was ready to buy one when the Lund came out. I spent quite a bit of time going through both and ended up with the Lund 186 Tyee. I am very happy with my boat, and I am sure I would have been happy with the Ranger as well. I priced both boat's at a couple of dealer's and when everything is EXACTLY the same, they are very close in price. You would have to add a heck of a lot of option's to get anywhere close to $60,000 for that boat.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Wallhanger

I was gonna say that the neighbor got taken to the cleaners if he spent that much!!! Unless the prices went way up since 2008, you would have a lot of options on the Reata to get to $46,000!!! When I ordered, the etec's were close to the most expensive. Only the 175 Vrod was a little more. I have a lot of options on my boat including a T8 kicker and came in around 40 with tax!!! You maybe need to shop around a bit. Both boats should be very close in price. A good dealer may make the difference in your decision for you!!! Good luck......
Old 04-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Keeper

I've got the Ranger and I love it. I would recommend it to anyone. I have never been in the Lund...but all you have to do is a basic search on this board and you'll see that you are pretty hard pressed to find a negative report about either of these boats. Everyone who has one raves about it...both models.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and break with the ranks above and say that you don't have to get both out on the water to make a decision if you don't want to put that much time in. If you've got the time, then yes, go for it. But they both will ride like a dream. Just go do a very close walk through of both and you'll see the differences....and make your decision.

Good luck...your on the right track and you can't go wrong.