Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Wabakimi Lake, Ontario - Page 20 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #191  
Old 06-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Zmiller13 Zmiller13 is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshawk View Post
3 weeks from today, we will be on the 8 hour drive to Ft Frances!
Leave Des Moines on Memorial Day and fly into Wabakim (via NWO) on Tuesday 5/31.

The crew is getting pretty excited for our first trip to Wabakimi. Gear is being prepped, tackle being reviewed, grocery lists being refined and maps being studied! Safe to say that the Wives are pretty annoyed with us right about now!

Looking at the Weather Channel site, the best locations to track for Wabakimi are Collins, Armstrong and Savant Lake. Anyone have any others they use?

Temps are looking higher than I would have thought. This is the earliest fly-in we have done, so curious (for those who have made June trips before) are the bugs thick this time of year? Also, looks like sunset will be around 10pm! That will be a new experience as well!

Aceshawk - I'm curious how your trip went. We fly in Jul 13 and will fly out July 23. This will be our first trip to Wabakimi, although we've been visiting Wabakimi Provincial Park since 2004. Been to Smoothrock and Kenoji multiple times each.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #192  
Old 06-07-2016, 07:04 AM
aceshawk's Avatar
aceshawk aceshawk is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 17
Default

Zmiller: This was our first trip as well and had a GREAT time!
The weather was tough. Rain everyday, winds coming from all directions.
Air temps were 48-54 degrees in day, 38-40 at night.
Water temps were 52-57 degrees.
Fishing was still good though.
Nice healthy fighting walleye. 19"-23" was common, but can definitely find the 16"-18" for dinner.
Some nice northern (40", 36" and others over 30" in boat...Big +40" lost at the boat).
It is a VERY big lake with many islands. I wouldn't go there without GPS, especially if you like to take in all the lake (which we did and saw some beautiful spots). If you like exploring this is a good lake for you.
Fish were a bit deeper than we typically see them. They were in typical locations (moving water, wind swept points, and pools near shallow water) but around 17'-24' (we are used to 8'-14').
Let me know if you have any other questions, you can email me at [email protected]...
Have a great trip!
Chad
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 06-15-2016, 04:04 PM
Pikeslayer8's Avatar
Pikeslayer8 Pikeslayer8 is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 1,457
Default

Had another good time on Wabakimi!




http://www.canadafishingguide.net/fo...mi-6516-61116/
__________________
Lets go fishin
Pikeslayer8
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 06-30-2016, 04:14 PM
TexFly TexFly is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: S. Texas
Posts: 23
Default New to Walleye Central

Howdy! From the greeting, I'm sure you can tell where I'm from, Texas. I stumbled upon this forum and thread while searching for maps of Wabakimi. I married a girl from outside the Twin Cities and my father in law invited me up to fish Canada in 2006. My first trip to Wabakimi was in 2007. They have been using Rusty Myers since the were in college, at the old campsite. We go up this year July 21-25. We are like most of y'all here and anticipate our trip a year in advance. I've already learned much from this thread, never even heard about Rusty's Backdoor. About 6 years ago I started fly fishing for northerns and it's been a blast. Thanks for having me, Ed
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 06-30-2016, 05:04 PM
Pikeslayer8's Avatar
Pikeslayer8 Pikeslayer8 is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexFly View Post
Howdy! From the greeting, I'm sure you can tell where I'm from, Texas. I stumbled upon this forum and thread while searching for maps of Wabakimi. I married a girl from outside the Twin Cities and my father in law invited me up to fish Canada in 2006. My first trip to Wabakimi was in 2007. They have been using Rusty Myers since the were in college, at the old campsite. We go up this year July 21-25. We are like most of y'all here and anticipate our trip a year in advance. I've already learned much from this thread, never even heard about Rusty's Backdoor. About 6 years ago I started fly fishing for northerns and it's been a blast. Thanks for having me, Ed
TexFly... very cool handle

Welcome to Walleye Central. Pike on the fly is great fun. Have a great trip!
__________________
Lets go fishin
Pikeslayer8
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 07-01-2016, 12:35 PM
TexFly TexFly is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: S. Texas
Posts: 23
Default

Thanks Pikeslayer. Sounds like your group and ours are very similar, love of Wabakimi and making memories with family. My son, 9, has been twice and watching him catch a 34" northern within 10 minutes of wetting a line on his first trip is one of my best memories. Like your group, I also get cooking duty. On particular spots, are the 3 deep pools at Rusty's Backdoor within the narrows before the big boulder or after? We've caught a lot of walleye in the bay after the boulder. That's also where I saw the largest northern at the side of a boat, at least 50". We do well along the east shore across from NWO camp. Does anyone fish for northern towards Sturgeon Rapids? We seem to do well fly fishing down there at times. Zmiller, looks like we'll be on the lake for a few days at the same time, maybe we'll see you out on the water. I know lots of people have asked, but anyone have a good map of the lake? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 07-01-2016, 04:54 PM
Pikeslayer8's Avatar
Pikeslayer8 Pikeslayer8 is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexFly View Post
Thanks Pikeslayer. Sounds like your group and ours are very similar, love of Wabakimi and making memories with family. My son, 9, has been twice and watching him catch a 34" northern within 10 minutes of wetting a line on his first trip is one of my best memories. Like your group, I also get cooking duty. On particular spots, are the 3 deep pools at Rusty's Backdoor within the narrows before the big boulder or after? We've caught a lot of walleye in the bay after the boulder. That's also where I saw the largest northern at the side of a boat, at least 50". We do well along the east shore across from NWO camp. Does anyone fish for northern towards Sturgeon Rapids? We seem to do well fly fishing down there at times. Zmiller, looks like we'll be on the lake for a few days at the same time, maybe we'll see you out on the water. I know lots of people have asked, but anyone have a good map of the lake? Thanks
The pools are between your camp and the boulder, but yeah, the best fishing is where you described.
Yup, Rusty fishes in front of our dock. NWO goes to fish in front of Pipestone's dock and Pipestone well, they can fish in front of either dock. Lol

Send me a email to [email protected] and I'll get ya a good marked map.
__________________
Lets go fishin
Pikeslayer8
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 07-11-2016, 03:26 PM
Innova Innova is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 11
Default

Just stumbled upon this thread as well. I have been on 6 fly-in fishing trips, all with Rusty Myers (Grayson, Wilkie, Sesaganaga, Wapikaimaski, Siess and Brennan). The first two were with my Dad, then the next 4 were just with buddies. We have all gotten older and families, so none of us have been up there since 2009.

This year I am again going with my Dad, his girlfriend and my 14 yo daughter. Hoping to make some more memories. (I also have another 11 yo daughter, and an 8 yo son, so we will be doing flyins each of the next three years as well!)

Anyway, I do have general knowledge of many of Rusty's lakes (we were on Brennan in 2009 for 8 days...the water went up 16" in that lake during those 8 days, rained for 7 of them!). I think that I have figured out most of the names that are used on this board after ready most of the 20 pages. Just wondering how the water level is this year, and if anyone can give me any tips that haven't been already posted.

Also, to help out others looking for good maps, there is a nice site that uses the images that adempsy linked to, that you can use just like google maps: http://www.giscoeapp.lrc.gov.on.ca/m...M&locale=en-US

You can get close enough to see the boats at the docks for NWO, Pipestone and Rusty!

Edit: I forgot to mention that we are flying in to Wabakimi on Sunday (7/17)!

Edit2: If anyone has any gps coordinates to share with me, that would be appreciated as well.

Last edited by Innova; 07-12-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 07-11-2016, 10:18 PM
BrianE BrianE is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova View Post
Just stumbled upon this thread as well. I have been on 6 fly-in fishing trips, all with Rusty Myers (Grayson, Wilkie, Sesaganaga, Wapikaimaski, Siess and Brennan). The first two were with my Dad, then the next 4 were just with buddies. We have all gotten older and families, so none of us have been up there since 2009.

This year I am again going with my Dad, his girlfriend and my 14 yo daughter. Hoping to make some more memories. (I also have another 11 yo daughter, and an 8 yo son, so we will be doing flyins each of the next three years as well!)

Anyway, I do have general knowledge of many of Rusty's lakes (we were on Brennan in 2009 for 8 days...the water went up 16" in that lake during those 8 days, rained for 7 of them!). I think that I have figured out most of the names that are used on this board after ready most of the 20 pages. Just wondering how the water level is this year, and if anyone can give me any tips that haven't been already posted.

Also, to help out others looking for good maps, there is a nice site that uses the images that adempsy linked to, that you can use just like google maps: http://www.giscoeapp.lrc.gov.on.ca/m...M&locale=en-US

You can get close enough to see the boats at the docks for NWO, Pipestone and Rusty!

Edit: I forgot to mention that we are flying in to Wabakimi on Sunday (7/17)!
Innova, Question for you. Do you know if Granite lake has been good as of late? My parents took some of my younger brothers and sisters there approx. 25 to 30 years ago and they did well. Was owned by Ron Massaro and his wife at the time, they eventually sold their entire business to their son Kelly and his wife Maureen, they then sold (only Granite) to Rusty.

My Dad asked them why they sold it and their answer was that they wanted to have cabins where the lakes have large systems flowing thru, examples Ogoki, Mojikit, Attwood, Whiteclay. etc.

Just curious if you know anything about it, thanks.

Brian
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 07-12-2016, 06:31 AM
Innova Innova is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
Innova, Question for you. Do you know if Granite lake has been good as of late? My parents took some of my younger brothers and sisters there approx. 25 to 30 years ago and they did well. Was owned by Ron Massaro and his wife at the time, they eventually sold their entire business to their son Kelly and his wife Maureen, they then sold (only Granite) to Rusty.

My Dad asked them why they sold it and their answer was that they wanted to have cabins where the lakes have large systems flowing thru, examples Ogoki, Mojikit, Attwood, Whiteclay. etc.

Just curious if you know anything about it, thanks.

Brian
Sorry Brian, I haven't heard anything about Granite lately.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wabakimi

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.