Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Wabakimi Lake, Ontario - Page 24 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikeslayer8 View Post
Funny thing is, I was talking with the Pipestone group that was there the same time as us, and they were telling me what the group ahead of them related. Rumor has it that they took 20 40"+ outta Duckbill Bay running shorelines with planer boards. Duckbill Bay is precisely where you described and is obvious on the map. I have fished it a couple of times with moderate success, but never a WEEK after ice out. Should be ideal for your fly rod.

Side note: I took my brother on a fly casting adventure and spent an hour chauffeuring him around a couple of bays last week without any success.

Don't feel too bad Bill, it is hard to find good pike guides nowadays....

PjShorthorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2017, 10:11 AM
Minnow

I must be lost on the map. I've never heard of Duckbill Bay and can't seem to find one on the map. Could you give me a little direction? We usually do well blind casting with flies along the western shore of the the big bay at the entrance to The Wall. We'll cast at any submerged trees or lily pads. We have also hammered the northerns in the bay south of The Wall. Thanks
Old 06-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexFly View Post
Are there any casting spots North of Pipestone cabin that warrant a look with a fly caster, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexFly View Post
I must be lost on the map. I've never heard of Duckbill Bay and can't seem to find one on the map. Could you give me a little direction? We usually do well blind casting with flies along the western shore of the the big bay at the entrance to The Wall. We'll cast at any submerged trees or lily pads. We have also hammered the northerns in the bay south of The Wall. Thanks
If ya look at the map, Edward, the Pipestone camp is on the west side of River Bay, so north of the Pipestone camp toward the outlet to Kenoji is a big bay on the most northern part of the lake. It is the only major bay north of Pipestone.

The other fellas at Pipestone were calling it Duckbill Bay and on the map it's kinda obvious and it's another cool name, kinda like The Lower Unit. Lol
Old 06-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Minnow

I think I see it now, it looks like a duck head looking right? Yes, the names people have come up with are cool. We a doing a 6 day trip this year at the end of July. I hope that it is cooler than it was last year. At least it's always cooler there than it is here in S. Texas. Thanks Bill
Old 07-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Minnow

Is anyone else going to be up at Wabakimi the last week of this month? We fly in on the 23 and fly out the 29.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 PM
Minnow

Well it was another great trip to the Northwoods. Wabakimi didnt' disappoint, but it never does. The weather was great, no rain outs or days off the lake due to wind. It seemed that the overall size of fish was up this year. Actually, it was hard to find "eaters" some days. We did some exploring and found some new honey holes. It seemed that the walleyes were between 12'-24' with the larger ones deeper. The biggest for the trip was 24". I did manage to land a 33" Northern, but we did see a monster and have it hit a smaller Northern attached to my fly. My buddy and I did empty our minnow bucket at a couple of spots, including Rusty's backdoor. We found, and fished, duckbill bay but only managed some smaller Northern. We are already looking forward to next year.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:57 PM
Keeper

Lot's of great info on this thread, thanks to everyone who has contributed. We have booked a week at Wabakimi next summer with PFO and will be there June 30-July 7. This is quite a bit later than our other flyin trips (usually we go early June). Really looking forward to fishing this lake. The wait is already agonizing!
Old 05-24-2018, 06:13 AM
Minnow

We'll be at Wabakimi in 36 days! It was the location of my first fly in and i've wanted to go back ever since. The other fly in's were all great but wabakimi seems to have something about it that makes it a cut above. The size of the lake, current, moss, camp location, all combine to make the total package. With folks coming back from the opener, I thought it might be a good time to get some chatter started here. Anyone ever landed a lake trout from Wabakimi?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:50 AM
Minnow

We'll be heading back July 24-30. We've never tried for lake trout, but have wanted to go after them. I guess I'd have to do a lot of research on how to fish for them. There are not a lot of lake trout in South Texas. Good luck to all. Post a report and some pics.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaup View Post
We'll be at Wabakimi in 36 days! It was the location of my first fly in and i've wanted to go back ever since. The other fly in's were all great but wabakimi seems to have something about it that makes it a cut above. The size of the lake, current, moss, camp location, all combine to make the total package. With folks coming back from the opener, I thought it might be a good time to get some chatter started here. Anyone ever landed a lake trout from Wabakimi?
Rumor has it that lake trout on Wabakimi are partial to a lure called the double donger. Ya may want to bring at least a few of those along with.

PjShorthorn

Tags
wabakimi