Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Early July Conditions? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-15-2018, 04:40 PM
Minnow

Camoclad, which outfitter are you fishing with on Wabakimi? We use Rusty Myers. We will be there July 24-30. Our group has fished there in mid June, but usually fish the 3rd week of July. Finding fish has never been a problem in 12-24' of water. The weather has already been covered, plan on at least a rain day. We have never had to endure a mayfly hatch. The mosquitos are usually there in the evening and biting flies on the lake during the day. I have been going to Wabakimi yearly since 2007. Most of our group has been going for 35+ yrs. The temps are always great for me, since I'm coming from S. Texas where it is usually over 100 deg with 90+% humidity. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2018, 07:00 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexFly View Post
Camoclad, which outfitter are you fishing with on Wabakimi? We use Rusty Myers. We will be there July 24-30. Our group has fished there in mid June, but usually fish the 3rd week of July. Finding fish has never been a problem in 12-24' of water. The weather has already been covered, plan on at least a rain day. We have never had to endure a mayfly hatch. The mosquitos are usually there in the evening and biting flies on the lake during the day. I have been going to Wabakimi yearly since 2007. Most of our group has been going for 35+ yrs. The temps are always great for me, since I'm coming from S. Texas where it is usually over 100 deg with 90+% humidity. Good Luck
Hi Tex, we will be there with PFO. Really looking forward to it. We have fished Kenoji, and Coles a couple times with PFO too. This is the latest we have gone, normally we have gone at the end of May first week of June. My brothers first trip to Canada was at Wabakimi and that is what got us all hooked when he came back telling about the trip and sharing his photos. We have a mixed bag in our group of 8 this year with about half of us that fish a lot throughout the year and the other half who this will be their first trip. We will definitely have the rain gear, And ready to fish just about any conditions (except storms or really high wind). Like you, we are coming from pretty warm weather here in Georgia so those cool nights are refreshing. Thanks for the input and I hope you have a great trip as well!
Old 02-15-2018, 07:20 PM
Keeper

Default Deer flies

The fishing wasn't bad the two or three times I went in July but the deer flies about drove me crazy biting my ankles. Every time I would go to shore or near I would pick up another batch in the bottom of the boat. The darn things would bite my ankles through two pairs of socks. The second year I took a can of Yard Guard and would spray the bottom of the boat when I got out away from shore. I would then be good until I got to shore to pick up another load. Them little suckers can really bite.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:25 PM
Minnow

It doesn't take much wind to make the main body of the lake very rough. At least the PFO boats have the highest HP on the lake. There is lots of good fishing on the North end of the lake, even with a wind. I usually try to catch our walleye dinner first, then target Northerns on a fly.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:26 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexFly View Post
It doesn't take much wind to make the main body of the lake very rough. At least the PFO boats have the highest HP on the lake. There is lots of good fishing on the North end of the lake, even with a wind. I usually try to catch our walleye dinner first, then target Northerns on a fly.
That was one of the things my brother said after his first trip, how the wind could make the big water pretty rough. We fish a lot like you have described, we catch our dinner then decide if we want to target some pike, go exploring and fish in some areas that look good on the map, etc. I think the biggest change for us will be fishing a little deeper water. In early June the fish are often still shallow, 8ft or less most of the time. Of course we will all take more tackle than we need and will still try it shallow before we heed everyone's advice to target 10-20 ft! The best part of the whole trip is just being there. There is a calm that comes over me when the plane leaves that I have never been able to replicate anywhere in the world. Seven days with friends and family, no worries, no electronics is worth every penny even if we don't catch a thing. Can't wait, only 133 days (but who is counting)!
Old 02-16-2018, 05:29 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy weaver View Post
The fishing wasn't bad the two or three times I went in July but the deer flies about drove me crazy biting my ankles. Every time I would go to shore or near I would pick up another batch in the bottom of the boat. The darn things would bite my ankles through two pairs of socks. The second year I took a can of Yard Guard and would spray the bottom of the boat when I got out away from shore. I would then be good until I got to shore to pick up another load. Them little suckers can really bite.
We grew up in Clinton, so no stranger to the bugs on the river in summer, but the flies up north that bite through your clothes are tough to deal with! Thanks for the advice, we try to keep the boats as clean and dry as possible, the yard guard is a great suggestion for the packing list!
Old 02-17-2018, 07:01 PM
Slot Fish

so as long as everyone is on the bug topic what about a typical 1st week of June Tamarack Island LOTW, most every trip I have taken tom Canada has been fall = no bugs, never been in June.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:43 AM
Keeper

We fished Lac Seul last year during the first week in July and will be doing so again this year. We had a huge Mayfly hatch last year that we didn't adjust to well early in the week. After much investigation, I have come to the conclusion, that finding the wind blown bays with a slower presentation might be the ticket. Most of our fish were caught in the 18-30 fow on offshore humps and breaks. Also caught many on flats in 20 fow. We didn't have any problem with bugs but some of our newbies got caught in those Canadian micro bursts that seem to pop up out of nowhere.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:07 AM
Minnow

The black flies won't stand a chance with my bug-a-salt at hand! Iv'e been target practicing!

I hear the best way to keep the flies off of you in the boat is to sneak a dead minnow under your fishing partners seat! They bit me through the woven front part of my tennis shoes. Then my foot itched to no end the rest of the day.

Last edited by jkaup; 02-18-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:08 PM
Minnow

It was really funny the first time my wife and I went to Wabakimi. The first 3 days the other camps were empty. Our camp owner had taken us out fishing and locked in on the fish. 16 ft deep was the only place we could get a bite. On the 4th day we saw other camp boat fishing on our way to our spot. I was of the understanding that folks on the water were happy and friendly. These old timers reminded me of the movie Grumpy old Men. They couldn't even bother to throw up even the slightest smile or wave of the hand. They had all the fancy gear. From the vest to the fish counter to the fish finder. You name it, they brought it. We went to our spot, back trolled, caught our lunch and left for some pike casting. The other boats had not even reeled in one fish. When we went to a different spot we boated close enough to see if they were still fishing. Of course they were right in the spot we left! We would have been happy to share any info with them. Like I said, I thought boaters/fishermen were friendly. Especially on a once in a lifetime trip to the Great White North! So, here is my point...don't try for days in the same spot that produced fish in years past. Gramps always said if you don't get a bite in 20 min. move, change it up. And for all those going the first week in July to Wabakimi, feel welcome to approach any of us in a PFO boat! We are all friendly fishing folk!

Last edited by jkaup; 02-18-2018 at 12:35 PM.