Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Early July Conditions? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 11-28-2017, 05:49 PM
Keeper

Default Early July Conditions?

We will be fishing July 1-7 on Wabakimi and was curious what others have experienced in terms of weather, fishing, bugs, etc. this time of the year. All of our previous trips were a month or so earlier and we usually had cool, rainy weather, the fish were pretty shallow and bugs were not too bad unless the air was still. We are looking forward to the trip and will deal with whatever conditions we encounter, just wanted to see what others have experienced in early July. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017, 07:47 PM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

My wife and I have been fishing in Sunset Country the last few seasons during the first week of July. Fishing during this week for the last two seasons was quite different from each other.

We fished for our walleyes during the first week of July in 2016 in 15-18 fow on rock humps that were fairly close to shore. The same week in 2017 saw us fishing in 24-28 fow on mid-lake rock humps. We caught good numbers and size of walleyes during both weeks, just in different places.

I believe the single biggest factor for the different patterns was the weather in May/June of 2017. Ice-out came early, but then it just did not warm up. The walleyes moved deep, early on in 2017 and just chose to stay there throughout the season.

I would rate the bugs as being the same in both 2016 and 2017. We caught the tail end of the black flies during both years. Mosquitoes were present, especially in the early morning and at dusk. I encourage you to bring a full can of your favorite bug spray.

You will likely find that the weather during early July is starting to get as stable in NW Ontario as it will get. You will likely want a sweatshirt in the mornings, but may encounter exceptionally warm temperatures during the daytime. Raingear shouldn't be too far away. Wind can certainly be a factor.

Some anglers comment that the may fly hatch in July can be problematic for them on certain bodies of water. Honestly, they haven't been a concern for me.

I believe that you will find the fishing to be good during early July, assuming you had good fishing on this lake earlier in the season. You will almost certainly be encountering different patterns during July than what you are accustomed to fishing during early June. Be flexible in where and how you fish! You may find yourself struggling in July if you fish the same places and patterns as you do in early June - sort of like pounding a square peg into a round hole.

Fish on the Canada Shield go through seasonal progressions. June is often a time of considerable change for the fish in view of (normally) steadily warming water temperature and emerging weeds. Since you don't have experience on this lake during early July, I encourage you to decipher as quickly as you can where the fish are in their seasonal progression. This understanding will allow you to focus on effective fishing techniques and presentations. For example, you might want to hire a guide for a day, or at least talk with the lodge owner or others at the dock.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 11-29-2017, 07:03 AM
Wallhanger

BornToFish hit the nail on the head. Not too much to add really.

I would emphasize what he said about the Spring conditions dictating where the fish are in early July. They won't be shallow, but they might not be all the way out into the main basin areas either.

Water temp will be the most important thing to check when you arrive. Ask around in camp too. Once you find them, chances are you can set up on them all week and have a great time!

The skeeters will be murder in the evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2017, 07:08 AM
Keeper

Thank you for the detailed information. I appreciate it very much! We are looking forward to fishing and seeing some of these differences firsthand. We will definitely keep an eye on the early season conditions as we prepare for the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2017, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Can be very good fishing, it all depends on the weather, as already stated. The bugs can be murderous on shore on windless day, evening campfires can be potentially masochistic to experience. Mayflies may be a factor, again, depending on weather, and water warming conditions, some folks feel this can be managed, I usually am not that fortunate, or maybe skillful(?) and prefer being there either before or after. Also heat can be a factor while on the water, be prepared for every possible scenario. Ala in all, if you are there, it still is better than being at work!!

Bill
Old 11-29-2017, 10:16 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Can be very good fishing, it all depends on the weather, as already stated. The bugs can be murderous on shore on windless day, evening campfires can be potentially masochistic to experience. Mayflies may be a factor, again, depending on weather, and water warming conditions, some folks feel this can be managed, I usually am not that fortunate, or maybe skillful(?) and prefer being there either before or after. Also heat can be a factor while on the water, be prepared for every possible scenario. Ala in all, if you are there, it still is better than being at work!!

Bill
For sure, much better than work! Maybe the Mayflies will spare us for this week too. Thanks for the response.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Keeper

I go on a trip at that time every year for the past 10+ years. However, the closest I've been to Wabakimi at that time was when I went to Kagianagami.

The Walleye were still migrating from their spawning locations. The odd few were in summer spots, but most of the fish were still coming in. The fishing at the rivers was amazing. The main lake, not so much. However, ice out was late that year.

All you can do is prepare for it all. Almost every trip (although, most aren't that far north in July) I've hit Mayflies. Sometimes the Walleye were already in the summer spots, sometimes not. So, you won't get a definitive answer...it's basically impossible. Once ice out happens, you might have a better idea though.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:40 AM
Wallhanger

I think everyone has covered just about all the fishing possibilities. The only thing I don't like about fishing trips in late June - July and early August are the bugs. Especially when the mosquitoes fly in the early evening.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:25 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adempsey2.0 View Post
I go on a trip at that time every year for the past 10+ years. However, the closest I've been to Wabakimi at that time was when I went to Kagianagami.

The Walleye were still migrating from their spawning locations. The odd few were in summer spots, but most of the fish were still coming in. The fishing at the rivers was amazing. The main lake, not so much. However, ice out was late that year.

All you can do is prepare for it all. Almost every trip (although, most aren't that far north in July) I've hit Mayflies. Sometimes the Walleye were already in the summer spots, sometimes not. So, you won't get a definitive answer...it's basically impossible. Once ice out happens, you might have a better idea though.
Thank you for the info, I realize we will have to wait and see what's up when the time gets here but these pieces of information that you and others have shared are helpful. We have encountered the Mayflies on a previous trip and while it didn't shut down the bite, it did become a bit more difficult to catch the numbers were were accustomed to. Toughest part of all will be the wait between now and then!
Old 11-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
I think everyone has covered just about all the fishing possibilities. The only thing I don't like about fishing trips in late June - July and early August are the bugs. Especially when the mosquitoes fly in the early evening.
I am sure the bugs will be a unique part of the experience...maybe we will get lucky and have some breezy afternoons and evenings. First guy that leaves the cabin door ajar is gonna catch heck though (unless it was me, then it was an accident of course)! Thanks for the feedback.