Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Grease for hubs... - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-25-2020, 10:08 AM
Wallhanger

"IF" you "bell" out the hub is is EASILY fixed by taking a center punch and put dimples inside the hub where the Bearing Buddy will be installed. By hammering the center punch into the inside of the hub it raises the area around the dimples to make that area smaller thus forming a tighter fit. We have used this method to get bearing races to seat better inside the hub when needed.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2020, 02:48 PM
Wallhanger

Tried that trick on the original hubs for the trailer. I was losing a lot of Bearing Buddies on the road. Still would fling them off after a bit. The best solution - just buy new hubs. At the time, they were cheap at the local Northern Tool. Hmmm..something to verify over the long winter, just in case.....
Old 10-26-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

GBS,
Removing the bell that has been formed on the hub of a trailer hub works absolutely to insure that the bearing buddies stay on the trailer wheel hub.

Good luck
Old 10-26-2020, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post

Then, began to pry the bearing buddy or dust cover off of the hub by pushing or pulling on both screwdrivers at the same time.

Guess you have never been told that a screwdriver is not a prybar.
--------------------------------------
To restore the end of the hub to a none flared out shape, a heavy hammer is your best friend.

Then, with that side of the hub rotated to the top side, give the hub a good wack with the heavy hammer.

Have you ever checked the ID on the "restored" end of the hub for out of roundness when you get done with the hammer?

If it is the least bit out of round, that means there is a gap for water intrusion.

Best wishes.
Oh I'm sure you have never had a problem after beating on the hub. You are just that good with a hammer.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:21 PM
Minnow

Default Bearing Buddies

I take a center punch before I reinstall center punch 4 or 5 spots, it’s over!
Old 11-01-2020, 04:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
GBS,
Removing the bell that has been formed on the hub of a trailer hub works absolutely to insure that the bearing buddies stay on the trailer wheel hub.

Good luck

If the pressure relief on Bearing Buddies were reliable ,this would not even be a problem. Same reason why they blow out the inner seals.

If you go as far as replacing the hubs, might consider changing to a "Super Lube" type of hub such as the one from "Tie Down" ,with the Zerk on the rear. For any standard axle, it's the next best thing to a Dexter system. Benefit: No more disassembly to keep completely repacked with fresh grease. ..and no more crappy Bearing Buddies !!

Fill with Lucas Calcium Sulfonate Marine Grease (,or if you prefer a Lithium Complex type ,Lucas "Red and Tacky") Then STAY with (don't mix) the type you choose. Simply flush with fresh annually, all your bearing/hub issues will disappear. Only time you need ever disassemble is if and when it's time for new inner seals. Normally that would be many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LdO-ZFCzdU
-

Last edited by MarkG; 11-01-2020 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Easier install

When installing Bearing Buddies or similar, I have found it much easier to get them started if they have been in the freezer overnight. I bring out one ata time and they more easily fit in the hub. They quickly warm and snug in the opening. I use a short section of 2x4 as a cushion and tap them in the hub.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio fisherman View Post
When installing Bearing Buddies or similar, I have found it much easier to get them started if they have been in the freezer overnight. I bring out one ata time and they more easily fit in the hub. They quickly warm and snug in the opening. I use a short section of 2x4 as a cushion and tap them in the hub.

Have used that trick to get bearing into a tight fit! If you are in a real hurry, get some dry ice and cool those things down fast!

Marty
Old 01-02-2021, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

No doubt the dry ice would cool bearings and buddies much faster, and make them colder to contract even more for an easier fit.

That is a great idea but where I live there are very few suppliers of advanced products such as dry ice. Around here, regular ice is considered quite modern. We have a very nice ice box that will hold up to a 50 pounder. What will they think up next?