Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How to handle this situation? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Wallhanger

The scary part about this whole thread is that we all are getting there. My guess is that the average Walleye Central guy is probably 60. I told my contractor when we built the new house on the lake, that when/if the time came, I expected him to build a ramp to the lake from the house and wheel me to the boat. I expect many of you feel the same way about your trip to Canada every year. Let us hope that we have friends that care about us as much as many of you do about your fishing partners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up

The beauty of any trip is in the eye of the beholder. If it makes him happy to just be there,then so be it. We are not here for a long time,Just for a good time.Its about the quality of life. Put yourself in his shoes then treat him like you would want to be treated
Old 02-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Minnow

My Dad was about 80 or so , the last time we went to Canada. He had recently been diagnosed with Polymyalgia. He hurt everywhere.
He had taken my brothers (6) and I to Canada for 40 years. 40+ trips.
Before he was diagnosed, he told us - no way - could he go. He was in too much pain. 2 days before we left, he started some meds that made him feel better. Prednisone surely is a miracle drug, and I can attest to that.
"I'm in!"!
He spent most of the week in the cabin, reading books, sleeping by the fire box, and keeping things clean.
We didn't pressure him to fish, and let him decide if and when he wanted to get in a boat.
I carried him over my shoulder (fireman carry) anywhere he needed to go.
Needless to say - he had a pretty good week.
His spirit was great, and that made OUR week one for the books.
The bottom line, as stated above and in many other posts, is that the fishing is secondary. When you go to Ontario, you're ALWAYS going to catch enough fish to eat, and maybe take home.
My brothers and I, as a group, have never been back to Canada since our Dad died. It just wouldn't be the same.
Now, we go to Kabetogama, and the fishing has been great.
Life is about changes.
While fishing is the main goal, we have as much fun or more just being together, and hanging out together.
We have all been chefs at one time or another, and we love the camaraderie and the opportunity to display our skills.
Bottom line -
Tell your guy - (as stated earlier) that is not important that he's there for the fishing - it's more important that he is there for the camaraderie, and your group would miss him, if he weren't there.
If he still hems and haws, then he has given up. DON'T PUSH IT!!

Baxman1958
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2015, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Looks like everyone here is on the same page. Hope things go well for all involved with these decisions that all groups and each of us will eventually have to make.

I hope when it comes to my last trip that I don't know it's my last trip. That's the way it was for my good friend a couple years ago. When we broke camp, shook hands and headed back home in opposite directions little did we know that it was the last time we would see each other.

Best wishes to all. Good thread for all of us to be following.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."

Last edited by Pooch; 02-13-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:35 AM
Keeper

Default Pooch's first post nailed it

We had a regular in our group that was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor in his early 40's. We had stopped going for a couple of years and decided to make one last trip with him, he wasn't in grate shape and could do very little but he hung in there and enjoyed the trip. He died a couple of years later at about 48 or so, the first and so far only one in our original group that has passed on. He and the rest of us were very glad we made that last trip together.
Pooch is right, a friend is a friend, if he wants to go make it work.
wmd
Old 02-15-2015, 12:22 AM
Wallhanger

The guy who turned me on to the idea of fly-in trips started after he returned home from Vietnam. His brother invited him and said he had no interest, but was told the group would pay his way and provide all the beer he could drink. He's gone for over 45 years since.

I don't know the details, but one of the group regulars died several years ago. The following year, they spread his ashes over his favorite island on the lake. Every year, they go back and drink a beer there in his honor.

When all is said and done, the fishing is just secondary to the memories developed and strengthening of friendships.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:15 AM
wolf1931

Red face great stories

fishermen great stories I would think the person that passed on would want his friends to continue going and enjoy the great outdoors again like they he used to when he was on this earth I know I would:we are a group of guys in our early 70's ( fairly good shape ) I have been going for over 40 years with a good friend I graduated grammar school in 1956 good friends are to find especially ones who enjoy the outdoors plan on doing for hopefully another 15 years planning on 3 trips this year jim wolf Chicago boys lets just keep going until we can't
Old 02-15-2015, 03:02 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterthedog View Post
We've been doing a fly in to the same lake for a number of years, one of our team has gone through chemo with throat cancer, he missed last year. He is on the fence about going this year, I'm the youngest of the group at 55, and his usual boat partner he is 80(he is my Uncle and taught me how to fish). I've tried to tell him to make the trip as it will not get any easier in the years to follow. Any Ideas on how to approach this would be appreciated. He says he will be fine for the drive up and the plane ride, but doesn't feel he has the stamina to fish all day, I told him I'll take him back to camp anytime he wants and pick him up after he takes a nap when he calls on the radio. He is a farmer and has a lot of pride and a feeling that he should be able to fend for himself. Any thoughts you guys? Thanks Steve
Steve, I don't know how you improve much on this thinking and approach. Picking up the slack and helping a friend/family is a joy, not a load, and you've told him that. That's part of the camaraderie and friendship that makes these trips so special. You let him know how everybody feels, you guys will get to the right decision, whatever that is.
John
Old 02-16-2015, 07:22 PM
Minnow

Default Perfect ....

John, that is a great response!