Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What unit for ice/boat dual use? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 09-29-2019, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Default What unit for ice/boat dual use?

I need a new sonar unit for the rear backtrolling position on my boat--I run the small kicker or the electric trolling motor, and my current unit crashed.
I also could use a new ice fishing portable sonar, so I'm wondering about a unit to use both seasons.
I know I'll need to have both transducers and 2 power cords, and use a rechargeable ice battery set-up.
I prefer a graph type rather than dial flasher type screen, so I have a longer look at seeing fish.
Also noticed Humminbird is talking about an Autochart unit for under the ice structure plotting...haven't studied that yet.

Anyone using their unit for both seasons, and happy with the set-up?
I'll post this under electronics section also, maybe get more responses sooner?
THX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2019, 09:57 PM
Wallhanger

Been kicking this around and would be interested in other options. I have been looking at Helix 7 SI and buy a ice transducer also.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Helix 7 All Season model comes with everything you need for dual purpose use.

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...g3n-all-season
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

Pretty easily done, here's one I can use for both.
To do this you will need a mount, power cord, ice transducer, small 12v battery, and a shuttle, all I need to do is remove the fish finder from the shuttle mount and place it on the mount on the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	313218   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	313220  

Last edited by grizzley; 09-30-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:46 AM
Keeper

I use my Helix 7 for both seasons, and am happy with it.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho975 View Post
I use my Helix 7 for both seasons, and am happy with it.
Being a Lowrance guy, I have the same with my HDS7. I feel a better option would be a 5 inch screen just to prolong battery life over the day. Mine has a built in GPS antenna so I can use it on my ATV when getting to the spot. This is nice as I can reference my summer waypoints to likely nearby wintering locations.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Wallhanger

I have a Helix 5 CHIRP GPS G2 with both the ice transducer and the portable transducer. I take my Autochart card from my big open water units and put it in this one when I fish with my small 12' boat or ice fish with it. I have been quite impressed with the unit.

I actually did a couple "on-ice" videos with the unit shortly after I got it. Here they are:

https://youtu.be/Gf37DQWUszM

https://youtu.be/an8F0372kR8

Instagram: @harderoutdoors
Old 10-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Keeper

I used a Gen3 HDS 7 with the elite portable pack last year. It worked pretty good and I could get CHIRP through the ice transducer on the Gen3, don't think that works with Gen2 or older. Also nice to use my map chip with my own mapping data in the winter so I could scout spots and make my own charts.

I sold that graph with my old boat this spring and my new one has a 9" and 12". Those are too bulky, too heavy, and use too much power to consider using for ice fishing. Not sure if I'll buy a used HDS7 to go with my portable pack, or just sell the pack and go a different direction.

Anyone want to sell a Gen3 or newer HDS7, or buy a pack to use with theirs?
Old 10-22-2019, 02:08 PM
Wallhanger

I use my HDS 7" gen 2 unit on my boat and I built a portable ice pack out of a soft sided tackle bag. I used a synthetic 1x6 and cut it the same size as the bottom of the pack. cut slots for a Velcro strap to go through to hold a battery. I mounted a small ram mount to the board to mount the display. It works great, sometimes the touch screen is finicky so you may have to touch the ground side of the battery when you touch the screen. A gen 3 or newer hds would work better since they have buttons as well as touch screen. I think I could fit my HDS 9 in the pack if I wanted to try it. The 7 is plenty though for iced fishing. It has all my soft water waypoints and mapping as well which is great.