Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do You Remeber Where You Were When Neil Armstrong First Walked on the Moon? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Wallhanger

Default Do You Remeber Where You Were When Neil Armstrong First Walked on the Moon?

I was 11 years old and at a youth camp by a small lake in North Dakota. It as after lights out(10 pm or so)and everyone was supposed to get to sleep. We slept in bunks or bunk beds in our sleeping bags in a dormitory type of a cabin. There were maybe a dozen of us all in one big room. I'd brought a small transistor radio that I held up to my ear with the covers over my head to muffle the sound so that I could listen to the broadcast. I had an earpiece too but I don't remember why I wasn't using it at the time. Anyway, I was a space junkie and used to set an alarm and get up in the middle of the night just to watch the Apollo rockets take off on a black and white television. I wasn't going to miss the first moon walk.
Well, along with us campers was a counselor. I hadn't listened very long when I heard a loud voice say "Either turn that thing off or turn it up so that we can all listen".
Needless to say I turn it up and we all laid there and listened to Neil Armstrong's first moon walk on that little transistor radio.
The moment was priceless and fifty years later, it's one of my fondest childhood memories.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 01:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default Fond memories

Yeah, fond memories of the space program, I remember my father stopping at a gas station
to watch one event with a car full of energetic younger brother and sisters
Old 07-18-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Newly wed, did not yet own a TV. We were listening on the car radio and managed to find a TV in some store window that we could barely see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Wallhanger

My parents gave me time off work on the farm so I could watch the landing on TV. I was so pumped!
Old 07-18-2019, 03:51 PM
Slot Fish

Boy Scout Camp Castle Rock. 12 years old. They had a cafeteria style building where scouts from all across Wisconsin gathered to watch the moon landing on a small black and white tv.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:19 PM
Wallhanger

FB C2 Dong Ha, RVN
Never gave it a second thought. Big event for sure.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Ramey AFB, Puerto Rico. Rooftop of the Hurricane Barracks of the 53 WRS watching the TV broadcast on my B&W TV, drinking Rum, looking at the moon and in utter Awe.

Must of been a couple dozen of us up there. Seems there was also a full or near full moon, but I could be mistaken.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 07-18-2019, 06:17 PM
Keeper

Watched a small B&W portable TV. I was glued to that for that whole flight. The space program had my attention back then. Built a storage container for the model rockets in shop class that just got sold in a yard sale a year or two ago.Wife and I finally made it to the cape a few years ago. That was an incredible experience.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

USS Truxton, Piraz Station, Gulf of Tonkin, VN. Heard about it a week after the fact.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Slot Fish

Glued to the black and white tv as an 8 year old kid. It was about as clear as watching Dick the Bruiser (I walked here from Milwaukee with a half barrel of beer on my shoulder!) wrestle Verne Gagne on channel 32 in Chicago!