Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
An interesting comment from the tourism sector - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-06-2020, 06:34 AM
Minnow

Default Charges

Went to Totem last year and we paid the tip in US funds - checked back with staff and they paid them in CA and pocketed the difference - pitiful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2020, 06:53 AM
Wallhanger

No matter the lodge policy I tip directly to the person I want to tip.

Went Salmon fishing to Alaska once. They instructed us all tips went into one pot and would be split at the end of the season. I tossed a $10 spot into that pot and tipped the cooks, camp boys and my guide on my own. Those camp kids worked their asses off for us. No way was I not making sure they knew I noticed that.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyguns View Post
No reason to carry foreign currency. Even in NWO every business I have stopped at from Fort Francis to Red Lake accepts credit card payments. For my fishing trips into Canada converting to local currency has been unnecessary and lose-lose situation from a conversion processing fee and and time delay/loss perspectives. Unless there is a direct payment requirement for local currency I don't see any benefit.
big daddy is right on the mark - Canada (and Europe and Asia) is so far ahead of the US in making cash un-necessary. we've stopped bringing any Canadian $$ for many years now with no issues - even buying a drink or candy bar at a convenience store you can use credit cards.

and although many outfitters we use still do not take credit cards, we've been able to do bank transfers - in US or Canadian $ - at minimal if any costs.

phish
Old 06-06-2020, 07:07 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-bay gord View Post
Most of my pink flamingo's have died of old age, or been stolen. I'm left with one or two lonely samples. On a serious note, with the notice of reopening to Canadian travel only, it might be wise for those that want to cater to Canadian business to at least have a Canadian $ price list.

One pink flamingo = $10 US dollars which is about $650 Canadian....
Wait. What ? Stolen ? You get one job to do .....to protect the flock at all costs and you are down to one stinking bird ? WTF ( What The Flamingo ) is going on up there for cripes sakes ? I suppose all the bouy markers were chopped up in the props of the your armada and you’re too embarrassedTo admit that your navigational skills have seriously declined over this past spring after ice out.

Well, my mission is now clear. And BTW.....$10 US dollars per bird is total . That doesn’t even cover one grooming session for a bird.

PjShorthorn

Last edited by pjshorthorn; 06-06-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:57 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyguns View Post
No reason to carry foreign currency. Even in NWO every business I have stopped at from Fort Francis to Red Lake accepts credit card payments. For my fishing trips into Canada converting to local currency has been unnecessary and lose-lose situation from a conversion processing fee and and time delay/loss perspectives. Unless there is a direct payment requirement for local currency I don't see any benefit.

Dalseg's Grocery Store in Nestor Falls does not accept credit cards. They seem to be a rare exception.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:38 AM
Minnow

Default ATM for Loonies

Just a couple of thoughts for everyone complaining about the exchange, using dollars in Canada etc...

We have cabin in NE Ontario and never use US dollars in Ontario because we usually use the credit card, which gives you the current exchange automatically or we got to an ATM in Ontario and get some Loonies. Yes there is an international withdrawal fee, but it beats getting screwed on the exchange when you use US dollars in Canada. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherbuddy View Post
Dalseg's Grocery Store in Nestor Falls does not accept credit cards. They seem to be a rare exception.
Do you notice that Dalseg's has two cash drawers? One for Canadian funds and one for American? No problem I guess. They do a conversion.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78dave View Post
Went to Totem last year and we paid the tip in US funds - checked back with staff and they paid them in CA and pocketed the difference - pitiful

That isn't an exchange rate issue. That would be simply an immoral practice. They are taking 30% of their staff's tips.

Our staff gets the tips exactly the way they're given. They can handle the conversion on their own if they wish.

This is not a conversion issue. This would not be taking advantage of the exchange. This would simply be an owner taking tip money from his employee.

That said... there's a chance that they are taking the extra money, and giving it to the dock hand as a tip... or it is their way of making the guides tip out other employees. (much like a waitress has to tip out the kitchen staff). I don't know. However, if they are simply taking the money... that is a very immoral practice. However, they could just as easily take 30% of a Canadian tip as they could take 30% of a US tip.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbu...d-19-1.5600639
Old 06-08-2020, 02:16 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse-WI View Post
Well that answered my question of how much of an outfitters/lodge's business is American vs Canadian visitors.