Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Heading to the Cleveland Clinic soon - to drive or fly?? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2020, 10:38 AM
Wallhanger

Default Heading to the Cleveland Clinic soon - to drive or fly??

I need to have some ticker work done in Cleveland at the end of the month. They think I'll need to be there 12-14 days. My wife is taking time off of work to come with. But we can't decide if we should fly or drive.

I'm about 450 miles away from my door. If we drive, we'd have to pay an extra $250 or so to park our car, but at least she'd have a car to get around if she needs too. Flying might be quicker (maybe not) but I'll be in a mask on the plane, I'd have to get a ride to the airport from home and back, which isn't a huge deal other than it's a 90 minute drive to O'Hare. Once in Cleveland, the Clinic will send someone to pick us up/take us back to the airport.

It sounds like they're pretty sure I'll be split down the middle, because there's also talk of doing the Maze procedure while they're in there (they can't do the Maze going in from the side, I guess). But even if they go in from the side and go robotic, I'm told I'll still feel a ton of pain with each breath because they're gonna yank my ribs/muscles all around going in like that. I don't know how I'm gonna feel afterwards in a car, or on a plane lol. I think they're both going to be challenging. The one thing about the car vs the plane would be the Rona. I'd be able to have more control in terms of that.

Anyone else have to travel like this for any medical procedures? Any insight you can share would be welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2020, 10:59 AM
Keeper

No direct flight to Cleveland available to you ? I would think post surgery you are still going to have pain for quite awhile . Driving may allow you to lay on the back seat if your wife is driving , may help to reduce the discomfort . Brother in law had open heart surgery a few years ago and he was in pain for awhile afterwards.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:00 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
I need to have some ticker work done in Cleveland at the end of the month. They think I'll need to be there 12-14 days. My wife is taking time off of work to come with. But we can't decide if we should fly or drive.

I'm about 450 miles away from my door. If we drive, we'd have to pay an extra $250 or so to park our car, but at least she'd have a car to get around if she needs too. Flying might be quicker (maybe not) but I'll be in a mask on the plane, I'd have to get a ride to the airport from home and back, which isn't a huge deal other than it's a 90 minute drive to O'Hare. Once in Cleveland, the Clinic will send someone to pick us up/take us back to the airport.

It sounds like they're pretty sure I'll be split down the middle, because there's also talk of doing the Maze procedure while they're in there (they can't do the Maze going in from the side, I guess). But even if they go in from the side and go robotic, I'm told I'll still feel a ton of pain with each breath because they're gonna yank my ribs/muscles all around going in like that. I don't know how I'm gonna feel afterwards in a car, or on a plane lol. I think they're both going to be challenging. The one thing about the car vs the plane would be the Rona. I'd be able to have more control in terms of that.

Anyone else have to travel like this for any medical procedures? Any insight you can share would be welcome
I would drive, Cleveland is an easy drive across 80/90. With the amount of time you'll spend dealing with the airport not to mention the health exposure it seems driving is the safest way. Best of luck to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2020, 11:01 AM
Wallhanger

I think it IS a direct flight from O'Hare
Old 10-05-2020, 11:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:

I would for sure ask the staff at the hospital what they think. Lot's of exposure going through airports with people from all over. Best not to complicate your health with additional risks.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 10-05-2020, 11:25 AM
Wallhanger

I friend of mine was recently "cracked", and he was told not to sit in the front seat for 4-6 weeks, due to the possibility of an air bag hitting his chest. I'm all for driving, but your wife may need to be prepared to handle the return trip.

HRG
Old 10-05-2020, 11:28 AM
Keeper

Default Drive

Quote:
I think it IS a direct flight from O'Hare
So you have to drive 90 minutes to the airport , pay to park and then if your in Cleveland for 2 weeks the wife will need transportation maybe ? rental or Uber , I`m just thinking that driving is more practical even if its around 8 hours to go 450 miles , Less expensive as well.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:48 AM
Wallhanger

I'd drive. The freedom you'll have with your car would trump any time or money you may save.
You can't pull the plane over if you need to.

P.S. Best wishes too you!
Old 10-05-2020, 12:09 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks for the comments and well wishes.

Driving does seem like it makes more sense, now. My wife was wondering if flying would be better. But personally, all that goes with getting on and off a plane is such a hassle imo. Perhaps because I do not fly very often.

I like the idea of being able to pull over if we have to.

Thanks again for the comments
Old 10-05-2020, 12:32 PM
Minnow

Default Surgery

I would drive. FYI
Be aware you may experience mood changes following the surgery. Several of my acquaintances found themselves crying for no reason at all. Thought they were going crazy until they talked to others that experienced the same thing. Meds?