Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lead core trolling tips - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-18-2020, 01:31 PM
Minnow

I tried leadcore for the first time last summer and looking to do more this summer. My main questions are 1, what’s a good rod that shows the action of the crank bait well on the tip of the rod so I can see if it’s Fowled? 2- what are some good baits to get down to 20-25 feet without letting out so much line? Any other tips for general lead core trolling would also be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 02:20 PM
Slot Fish

Lots of really informative threads in this forum on the subject if you do a search.

I do lots of trolling (lead core and long lining) with a huge variety of baits and have several different setups so that I can tell what is going on with the lure.

Lures like the Deep Tail Dancers and the deep running Reef Runners really pull hard so I use a 8/10 foot MH rod (cheap Cabelas or others).

Flicker shads and shad raps don't pull nearly as hard so I have a bunch of the 1 piece, 7'/7'6" Ugly Stix GX2s in ML,M, and MH for braid as well as lead core.

Don't know what your fishing setup is but a very smooth way to troll is to highlight a 2 foot depth range and set a trail or follow the contour.

Once you get up to speed, let your lines out. Dive charts are good but not exact (are your reels calibrated?) so keep letting out line until you get a fish or hit bottom. I jot down the feet out # for those conditions and lure. If I get fouled or mark suspended fish I reel up 10'.

Last edited by Grumps; 01-18-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:06 AM
Slot Fish

The Troll Master Depth Calculator app (see my signature) allows you to pair lead core with any of our list of 45 (and growing!) crankbaits.

The app also has mono and braid as well. The current cost is US$9.99 for a lifetime subscription, but this will be changing as soon as I get the In App Purchases worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 08:06 PM
Keeper

Do you have to have cell service for the App to work?
Old 01-24-2020, 06:05 AM
Slot Fish

No sir - the app does not need internet service to work.

Thanks,
Trevor