Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
snobs - Page 10 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 12-11-2020, 04:16 PM
Wallhanger

Trying it a different way.

I fish alone a lot. See, I'm a really great fisherman and I catch lots and lots of big fish when I go by myself. When other people come along I always try to make them better fisherman too and I give them advice about how they're casting, retrieving, lure selection and the best rod they should be using. In fact, I spend so much time trying to help them that I hardly catch anything and they get snippy after a while because we're not catching fish like when I'm alone. They always seem to think they know better and would do better if I let them make their own mistakes. Who needs attitudes like that? I'm glad they're usually too busy to fish with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2020, 04:44 PM
Minnow

Default Size Doesn't Matter

[QUOTE=bayman;6504294]Well, might as well just say it, I feel like guys with a 16-17 ft boat are disrespected by some of the regulars on here. If we don't have 12" DI,SI, MEGA, livescope and a 620 or other $45k plus boat, no respect. Comments like "you need a bigger boat to be on that water" have been rampant for years here. What do you guys think ?[/QUOTE]

I don't notice it (disrespect) so much, but then I don't go looking for it:) I have a small Lund, and don't do much deepwater fishing - mostly because I love fishing for smallmouth, walleye, and pike in shallower water. I hate to kill off smaller walleye by dragging them up from 50' of water (then trying to fizz them so they don't blow up). I do like to fish Lake Erie and larger Ontario lakes for walleye, and do keep a few for the freezer or for shore lunches, but most of my catches are caught in shallower water - (jigs & blades work there too :) If I wanted to fish deep water, I'd be looking for a bigger boat, but my Lund Rebel with its 40HP works for me. It handles stormy weather very well as long as I don't do something stupid.

As far as electronic go, my little 8" Garmin works just fine, and has more "bells & whistles" than I need to navigate, find the fish, and put a few in the boat:) I did upgrade my trolling motor by adding a GPS Spot Lock, and I added a lot of interior lights, spotlight, and other conveniences to my boat so it is great for night fishing. Its all I need and gives me great pleasure, while being easy to maneuver and store over the winter months. Can't wait for spring to come so I can pull it out of the garage and start prepping it for our Spring fishing trip to Voyageurs National Park (Kabatogama and Namakan Lakes).

As long as you are happy with your boat, that is all that matters. I suspect that there are plenty of larger boats that get into trouble in bad weather, not because of any issue with the boat, but more because of the operator's lack of respect for Mother Nature. Its like my wife says, size doesn't matter, its all about your technique:)
Old 12-11-2020, 08:56 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=kzoofisher;6506818]Ha, no worries. I was trying to make a joke about the arrogant ego maniac that can never see why no one wants to be around him.[/QUOTE] [COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Hey! Anonymouse resembles that remark but it's not really his ego. :)
[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkGreen][B]He's just semi-autistic, according to a past fishin' buddy that used to spend 2 days a week with him in the same dingy on the Wisconsin River for 8 straight months.
[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkGreen][/COLOR]
Old 12-12-2020, 02:17 PM
Wallhanger

As many here know, this year I went from never having owned a boat - well, not counting the inflatable raft I used to pack in to fish small lakes in northern MN and WI in my youth - to owning a new 620FS Cup. (And although my learning curve has indeed been steep, I remain extremely happy that I made the leap. :) )

For the very long time before and the short time since my purchase, what I've seen is:

- The great majority of folks here are happy for whoever has whatever kind of boat. You can count me in that crowd.

- A few folks chime in occasionally to advise someone to get a bigger boat given the waters the person aims to fish.

- A few more folks chime in a bit more often to advise someone to hold off on getting a higher-end boat until after they've owned a succession of less expensive boats over an extended period of time.

- More folks still (but still not all that many) act as if anyone with a bigger boat than they have, or a fiberglass boat if they have aluminum, or a more expensive rod and reel than they have, etc. is at best someone who spends their money foolishly or at worst a snob.

So I suspect people who feel they're encountering "my boat is bigger/better than your boat" snobbery here are actually doing it to themselves; it's not really here, but they expect to see it so they do. I'm sure there's that rare exception out there - there always is - but I haven't experienced it.

Really, isn't the whole point of starting a thread like this a kind of reverse snobbery?

Gerry
Old 12-12-2020, 02:37 PM
Keeper

[QUOTE=JHuheey;6506832][QUOTE=bayman;6504294]Well, might as well just say it, I feel like guys with a 16-17 ft boat are disrespected by some of the regulars on here. If we don't have 12" DI,SI, MEGA, livescope and a 620 or other $45k plus boat, no respect. Comments like "you need a bigger boat to be on that water" have been rampant for years here. What do you guys think ?[/QUOTE]

I don't notice it (disrespect) so much, but then I don't go looking for it[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] I have a small Lund, and don't do much deepwater fishing - mostly because I love fishing for smallmouth, walleye, and pike in shallower water. I hate to kill off smaller walleye by dragging them up from 50' of water (then trying to fizz them so they don't blow up). I do like to fish Lake Erie and larger Ontario lakes for walleye, and do keep a few for the freezer or for shore lunches, but most of my catches are caught in shallower water - (jigs & blades work there too [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] If I wanted to fish deep water, I'd be looking for a bigger boat, but my Lund Rebel with its 40HP works for me. It handles stormy weather very well as long as I don't do something stupid.

As far as electronic go, my little 8" Garmin works just fine, and has more "bells & whistles" than I need to navigate, find the fish, and put a few in the boat[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] I did upgrade my trolling motor by adding a GPS Spot Lock, and I added a lot of interior lights, spotlight, and other conveniences to my boat so it is great for night fishing. Its all I need and gives me great pleasure, while being easy to maneuver and store over the winter months. Can't wait for spring to come so I can pull it out of the garage and start prepping it for our Spring fishing trip to Voyageurs National Park (Kabatogama and Namakan Lakes).

As long as you are happy with your boat, that is all that matters. I suspect that there are plenty of larger boats that get into trouble in bad weather, not because of any issue with the boat, but more because of the operator's lack of respect for Mother Nature. Its like my wife says, size doesn't matter, its all about your technique[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE] Well.....like the old saying goes.......LUND #1 on the water !!!
Old 12-13-2020, 02:56 AM
Wallhanger

Default Depends

[QUOTE=Cornholio;6505148]I mean really, does anyone actually use a tiny 12" now that the bigger units are available?[/QUOTE]

Some smaller lakes around me, only accessible with a smaller boat. 12-14';

Realizing the higher horse power ending up on the transoms of so many tiller boats these days, defies common sense in my opinion, a thought. Tournament anglers also need a different style of boat, bigger and faster for the large waters they compete in. But it is these boats that get noticed and wished for. And that is ok.

My dad always was good at separating wants and needs for me.

Last edited by Gary Korsgaden; 12-13-2020 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:13 AM
Wallhanger

Default So True

[QUOTE=gbin;6507150]As many here know, this year I went from never having owned a boat - well, not counting the inflatable raft I used to pack in to fish small lakes in northern MN and WI in my youth - to owning a new 620FS Cup. (And although my learning curve has indeed been steep, I remain extremely happy that I made the leap. :) )

For the very long time before and the short time since my purchase, what I've seen is:

- The great majority of folks here are happy for whoever has whatever kind of boat. You can count me in that crowd.

- A few folks chime in occasionally to advise someone to get a bigger boat given the waters the person aims to fish.

- A few more folks chime in a bit more often to advise someone to hold off on getting a higher-end boat until after they've owned a succession of less expensive boats over an extended period of time.

- More folks still (but still not all that many) act as if anyone with a bigger boat than they have, or a fiberglass boat if they have aluminum, or a more expensive rod and reel than they have, etc. is at best someone who spends their money foolishly or at worst a snob.

So I suspect people who feel they're encountering "my boat is bigger/better than your boat" snobbery here are actually doing it to themselves; it's not really here, but they expect to see it so they do. I'm sure there's that rare exception out there - there always is - but I haven't experienced it.

Really, isn't the whole point of starting a thread like this a kind of reverse snobbery?

Gerry[/QUOTE]

Gerry very true, but the bigger flasher boats, instant reaction "these guys know what they are doing"
Old 12-13-2020, 07:31 AM
Keeper

[QUOTE=bayman;6504294]Well, might as well just say it, I feel like guys with a 16-17 ft boat are disrespected by some of the regulars on here. If we don't have 12" DI,SI, MEGA, livescope and a 620 or other $45k plus boat, no respect. Comments like "you need a bigger boat to be on that water" have been rampant for years here. What do you guys think ?[/QUOTE]

there are a-holes, snobs, jerks and so on in any group of people no matter how you want to group them, whether it's their boat size, favorite sports team, truck brand loyalty and so on. To label a group of people based on what they drive or own is stereotyping. Like papa used to say never judge a book by it's cover.

I'm glad to see the vast majority of other responses are aligned with my thoughts and is what makes this site great!

Get lost troll.