Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Transom tie downs hitting bottom of transom - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-27-2021, 06:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnhzkr View Post
The boat overhangs past the bunks by about 4 inches. How should it line up? Should the end of the boat meet the end of the bunks?
My bunks are flush with the transom. The end of the boat meets the end of the bunks. No overhang. I also just added those poly bunk slides. They work pretty slick. Kind of turned my bunk trailer into a roller trailer. Google.... surfix trailer bunk slides...to see what I have.

Last edited by fishs; 03-27-2021 at 06:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2021, 06:56 AM
Minnow

I have an older 17' Lowe, and the ratchet straps I have do the same thing. I attach the hook further back on the trailer, back where the side bunks attach to the trailer proper.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:05 AM
Minnow

Default Transom tie downs hitting bottom of transom

My 1775 has about 2 inches of bunk exposed. I may be a little tongue heavy but it trailers beautifully that way.
Remember to have a look at the position of your transducer when you move the boat up. If the transducer lines up with a bunk you can tear it off when you load it on the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2021, 08:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauroC View Post
My 1775 has about 2 inches of bunk exposed. I may be a little tongue heavy but it trailers beautifully that way.
Remember to have a look at the position of your transducer when you move the boat up. If the transducer lines up with a bunk you can tear it off when you load it on the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point! Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:25 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcl2 View Post
If the drotto pushed the boat back, you will just be putting it back where it belongs in the first place.
Yeah, that thought occurred to me. I'd just be putting it back where it should be.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnhzkr View Post
The boat overhangs past the bunks by about 4 inches. How should it line up? Should the end of the boat meet the end of the bunks?
There's your problem... The transom needs to be flush with the end of the bunks or very close.

This may have been the result of the Drotto install .. but if it was.. your tongue weight is probably too light now, as well.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:42 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
At the very least, the transom should be flush with the end of the bunks. Having the bunks past an inch or 2 is fine, too.

https://www.shorelandr.com/pages/pf_trstep2.htm

When he installed the Drotto, he failed to move the winch post. If moving the hull forward increases the tongue weight too much, the axle will need to be moved forward.

HRG
this ^^^, i don't have a Lund 1875, but my Lund sits about 1" in on the bunks ( 1" of overhang on the rear of the bunk). I also installed bolt-on transom straps for my Shorelander just to make life easier. The bunks should be just overhanging the transom.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

I have the same problem with my boat.
The boat and the trailer is set up correctly.

This is just the way that the transom straps are positioned on the trailer.

I have an industrial sewing machine and used the sewing machine to put 5 layers of webbing around the area where the straps come down over the edge of the transom.

No issue with the transom and as the straps wear, I just replace the wear strap coverings when needed.

No big deal.

Take care