Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Liquid scent/attractant - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 12-06-2021, 06:47 PM
Keeper

Default Liquid scent/attractant

As I was contemplating things - what are your thoughts or experiences on using any liquid scent/attractants to your presentations? My application would be on jig with plastic fishing for walleyes in cold open water fishing.

I have not been exposed to this much. I have seen some positive results adding this on to jig/plastic ice fishing for white fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2021, 06:54 PM
Wallhanger

I can't prove it doesn't work. Why not just smash a Crawler on the hook or bite the head off a minnow like the ice guys do?
Old 12-06-2021, 07:59 PM
Keeper

Iíve used Baitmate for years on soft plastic and it seems to help at times. As many have said before, it canít hurt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2021, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
I can't prove it doesn't work. Why not just smash a Crawler on the hook or bite the head off a minnow like the ice guys do?
One reason is availability, I can carry liquid scent or pre-scented plastics in my tackle bag behind the truck seat all year round.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

I BEIEVE scent works to my advantage, especially in cold water conditions when fish are more lethargic, i.e., slower to move, perhaps more careful to hit the lure.

Being an old geezer, the chances of me having a scent on my hands which respells fish is said to be higher than for young folks, and ladies, so there is that.

I prefer Berkley Power Scent, which comes in a plastic container, also Smelly Jelly - for use in Iowa, Shad flavor.

There are a number of good informative/opinionated posts on the subject here on WC, just do a search.

Bill
Old 12-07-2021, 03:38 PM
Wallhanger

I'm convinced scents help at times and I've never found them to hurt.
I like Berkley Walleye Attractant and Pro Cure Super Gel depending upon what I'm doing but there are likely other scents that work well also.
For slower moving baits I like the Berkley and moving a bit faster, even on cranks, I like the Pro Cure because it's in a gel form that sticks to the bait better than the Berkley.
I think that scents help fish locate a bait easier by allowing them to key on the source of the scent on a slow moving or stationary bait and in the case of moving baits, scents help keep walleyes following baits longer. I'm convinced that at times walleyes follow baits for some distance before striking and the longer they follow baits the likelihood increases that a bait will do something erratic triggering them to strike.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:27 PM
Wallhanger

Donít know if scent works to attract, but Iím reasonably sure it works to unattract. A couple of years ago I use coffee grounds for night crawler food. Didnít catch a walleye on that batch of nightcrawlers all summer. Had to buy new crawlers to catch walleyes.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:40 PM
Wallhanger

Good old anise oil seems to help steelhead fishing sometimes. Maybe all it does is mask whatever other scents are on the bait but many times a fishless day has turned fishy when anise was added to the bait.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

The one place where I have found that scents really work well is when the water temperature is below 40 degrees.

At those temperatures and below the fish tend to be lethargic and at times I have found that a scent - like Dr. Juiced for walleye to be extremely effective.

I know that several times when ice fishing with my buddies in a multi hole house that it has made a difference. I would be fishing one hole using Dr. Juice and catching fish, but others with no luck.
Then, they begin to add Dr. Juice e and their catch rate went into overdrive.

Particularly with ice fishing through a hole in the ice, I use enough scent that the entire hole is coated with the scent. Then, from that point onward, I wouldn't have to add any more scent. Just by taking my baited hook and dropping it through the hole and its film of scent on the surface was enough to coat the jig and bait to make a big difference.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/dr-j...nt-super-juice

It seems that the more rank the scent becomes, the better that it works.

As much as anything else, the juice masks any human odor from the tackle, jigs and bait.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:00 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
The one place where I have found that scents really work well is when the water temperature is below 40 degrees.

At those temperatures and below the fish tend to be lethargic and at times I have found that a scent - like Dr. Juiced for walleye to be extremely effective.

I know that several times when ice fishing with my buddies in a multi hole house that it has made a difference. I would be fishing one hole using Dr. Juice and catching fish, but others with no luck.
Then, they begin to add Dr. Juice e and their catch rate went into overdrive.

Particularly with ice fishing through a hole in the ice, I use enough scent that the entire hole is coated with the scent. Then, from that point onward, I wouldn't have to add any more scent. Just by taking my baited hook and dropping it through the hole and its film of scent on the surface was enough to coat the jig and bait to make a big difference.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/dr-j...nt-super-juice

It seems that the more rank the scent becomes, the better that it works.

As much as anything else, the juice masks any human odor from the tackle, jigs and bait.
X2 Dr. Juice in the super concentrate 1.25oz. bottle, has been the best of the scents that I use.