Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lake of the Woods - Minnesota Side - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-18-2022, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Lake of the Woods - Minnesota Side

With the continuing COVID BS (sorry, not sorry), I have given up my deposit money that has been in Canada since 2020 because there are plenty of places in the US that we can fish without COVID issues.

My 2 sons (22 & 18) are both graduating in May (college & HS), so I am considering going to Lake of the Woods instead with them. I have a 19' boat, so I'm hopeful to fish a 4-5 days if we go up there for a week.

Looking at going late July/early August timeframe. I have never fished LOW & would appreciate any input in terms of lodging? We don't need all the extras, but if a few are included with the accommodations, I think we'd be OK with that too!!!

Thanks for the replies in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2022, 07:28 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Check with the resorts out of Baudette. That way if the wind blows you can hit the Rainy River.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks

I have the Lake of the Woods Tourism booklet (?) and yes, LOTS of options near Rainy River as well, which is why I'm trying to get some additional information...... Are all of the resorts the same for the most part? I would like to find a resort that will give a newby some fishing insight/information as to where to try & catch some fish too in hopes of gaining a customer for years to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2022, 09:44 PM
Keeper

I've been fishing there many years and I can tell you there is a reason all the launches head straight towards the Angle even on opener. South shore is nowhere near as good as it used to be. Possibly because of 15,000 ice fisherman any given weekend versus the 300 there used to be. Knight and Bridge's is even overcrowded. Just my opinion, your experience may differ.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

If it was me, I would get reservations at one of the resorts on Oak Island.

Plenty of water around that area that has very good fishing with considerably less pressure than the southern waters.

https://www.google.com/search?q=reso...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Also, if the Canadian waters open up, you will be less than a mile from the Canadian border to fish with a Canadian license.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:45 AM
Minnow

Canadien waters are currently open - I would check out Flag Island Resort in the Angle. You can fish Canada without having to cross the border via land.

The south side resorts just dont compare to what you can get up in the NW Angle...its just more difficult to get up there is all.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:15 AM
Minnow

Default Advice requested

For anyone who has driven their own boat from the south shore to a resort on Oak Island, what advice do you have for a first timer? My boat is a Triton 206 and I’m looking at an early fall trip. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Skis: late May into June there are still large numbers of fish all along the South Shore. The jig bite is still going strong and the spinner bite getting going........as well as pulling cranks. The river has a native population so that is a good option if you have a wind day. If you stay at a resort along the river you also have the option of pulling your boat over to Warroad/Springsteel and launching there. Very good fishing there. With good weather, running north to the islands would be no problem with your boat. Fishing the reefs is one of my favs. Keep an eye on the weather of course.

Dave: dozens to hundreds of guys cross the lake daily to fish the Angle, many in boats smaller than yours. Depends on the weather and your big wave comfort level. My cabin is on the south shore (for sale) and I run north often in my Ranger. You might want to make sure a big norwester isn't coming on your departure date..makes for a long, slow trip.

Good luck
Old 01-25-2022, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Thanks!!

Thanks for the replies so far!!
Old 01-25-2022, 11:12 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=PRO-V16;6626052]I've been fishing there many years and I can tell you there is a reason all the launches head straight towards the Angle even on opener. South shore is nowhere near as good as it used to be. Possibly because of 15,000 ice fisherman any given weekend versus the 300 there used to be. Knight and Bridge's is even overcrowded. Just my opinion, your experience may differ.[/QUOTE

I don't like to admit it, but i have to agree with pro v. Never had to go out very far over the years and now we find ourselves traveling north up to/near the angle.