Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2022 All Canada Shows Cancelled - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 12-02-2021, 07:56 AM
Slot Fish

My dad was a marketing guy and worked hundreds and hundreds of trade shows in his career. He worked a lot of shows at McCormick Place in Chicago, where he was responsible for all aspects of the setting up and tearing down of the displays for his company. It was unbelievable how expensive it was for simple tasks, such as plugging in an extension cord, to be completed thanks to union rules. Factors like that are one of many reasons that the trade show industry in probably in a terminal decline.

One thing to add, with the Teamsters running the labor at McCormick Place, you never had to worry about stuff getting stolen while being crated and taken to the loading dock. The same cannot be said about New Orleans and some other convention centers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2021, 10:34 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgillespie View Post
My dad was a marketing guy and worked hundreds and hundreds of trade shows in his career. He worked a lot of shows at McCormick Place in Chicago, where he was responsible for all aspects of the setting up and tearing down of the displays for his company. It was unbelievable how expensive it was for simple tasks, such as plugging in an extension cord, to be completed thanks to union rules. Factors like that are one of many reasons that the trade show industry in probably in a terminal decline.

One thing to add, with the Teamsters running the labor at McCormick Place, you never had to worry about stuff getting stolen while being crated and taken to the loading dock. The same cannot be said about New Orleans and some other convention centers.
I've seen this first hand, i spend quite a bit of time at the Chicago IMTS show. Lots of money paid out for the floor space, rigging as well as the electrical installs.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:46 PM
Keeper

I'm disapppinted but totally understand it. My girlfriend and I were planning on going to book a place for our trip, so maybe now we will at the NW Sport Show.

I for one love the shows, and as others have echoed there is a tremendous benefit to meeting face to face with the lodge operators. T
Old 12-02-2021, 01:49 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Mag View Post
I've seen this first hand, i spend quite a bit of time at the Chicago IMTS show. Lots of money paid out for the floor space, rigging as well as the electrical installs.
That's a huge show. PROMAT was the big one for my dad.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutwater View Post
I'm disapppinted but totally understand it. My girlfriend and I were planning on going to book a place for our trip, so maybe now we will at the NW Sport Show.

I for one love the shows, and as others have echoed there is a tremendous benefit to meeting face to face with the lodge operators. T
One thing that irks me is when you spend time talking to an outfitter and then find out it’s some guy out of Chicago who says I’ve fished there forever and all the glorious BS. I understand it’s good to have someone help out if the owner has to run an errand or take a break, but some of these hired hands are professional BS’ers so I ask now if they own the camp and will be up there all season.
Not to bash a friend or loyal customer who helps them set up or let’s them crash at their place, but there some I wonder about.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA$1970 View Post
One thing that irks me is when you spend time talking to an outfitter and then find out it’s some guy out of Chicago who says I’ve fished there forever and all the glorious BS. I understand it’s good to have someone help out if the owner has to run an errand or take a break, but some of these hired hands are professional BS’ers so I ask now if they own the camp and will be up there all season.
Not to bash a friend or loyal customer who helps them set up or let’s them crash at their place, but there some I wonder about.
Even some owners will try n set the hook on you,not only the help,some have that car selling pitch lol
Old 12-02-2021, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If he weighs more than 250 pounds, he's probably not a lodge owner (or at least one that does any work).....
Old 12-02-2021, 06:16 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-bay gord View Post
If he weighs more than 250 pounds, he's probably not a lodge owner (or at least one that does any work).....
His jaw is getting a work out.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-bay gord View Post
Quote:
If he weighs more than 250 pounds, he's probably not a lodge owner (or at least one that does any work).....[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/rockit.gif[/IMG]
So are you saying Lodge Owners are skinny little things ?
Old 12-04-2021, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyecheek View Post
So are you saying Lodge Owners are skinny little things ?

When I read that, I chuckled... thinking of some of the "larger" lodge owners out there, that I know still work very hard.