Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
8mo Old Lab/Golden & Town Fireworks Show? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 08-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Keeper

Default 8mo Old Lab/Golden & Town Fireworks Show?

So our town celebration is coming up this weekend and Saturday night is the fireworks show. Our 8-month old lab/golden dog has not yet been exposed to gun shots or anything similar, except that we've had some boomer thunderstorms go through and she doesn't even pay attention to the loud thunder.

But, this will be different. Do we bring her with and expose her to the noise? Or are we risking her becoming "gun shy"? They always start the show off with a high volume sequence of those real loud flash "bomb" fireworks before getting into the colorful show.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Wallhanger

I wouldn't bring her. I had a lab pup over the 4th a few years back. I put her in the truck and went for a drive. I worked her into it with loud noises while she eats and the using a 209 primer in my muzzle loader, a .410 and finally a 12 GA. Did the same when I picked up my 2nd lab.
If you plan to hunt her I wouldn't risk it. I have a friend with a golden that freaks out during fireworks every year. My dogs see or hear a gun and are either looking for a bird or jumping in the truck!
Old 08-11-2016, 09:30 PM
Wallhanger

I don't hunt. But I pretty much ruined our Golden by taking him to the local fireworks. Up to age 4 or so, never bothered by thunder or neighborhood fireworks. Dog went into a panic at the fireworks show, all I could do to try and hold him. Forever after he was a mess for any thunderstorm or any distant pop. He could hear things I couldn't. As advised, start young, start quiet, and slowly build up so the dog gets acclimated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2016, 04:04 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the feedback! I kinda thought it would be risky and I do want to try & train her for hunting. We try & get right under the fireworks so the booms are loud & can even "feel" them hit your chest. So we'll kennel her up & keep her away.