Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
CLose enuogh? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 03-19-2020, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Default CLose enuogh?

Saw this paint in a local bog box. Sprayed a unpainted lead head jig. Doesn't look too bad. Might look better sprayed over a white base.

Won't hold up as well as real chromed gold though.

GP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200319_165707.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	316628   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200319_165735[1].jpg
Views:	111
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	316630  

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 09:43 PM
Wallhanger

I have a bottle of gold fingernail polish, along with some other colors, in one of my tackle boxes. Holds up surprisingly well, price is cheap, $1.00 at Dollar General and it is quick and easy to apply. Have had very good luck with a bottle of gold glitter I picked up.
Just be ready with a quick response when your friends find out about your nail polish stash.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Spray it over black for the deepest gold color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2020, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
Spray it over black for the deepest gold color.
Will try that. Thanks!

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 05-11-2020, 05:52 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

Pooch: How did it go for you when you tried spraying the gold over a white versus black base? I will be painting some jigs in the upcoming week or two, and thought your feedback will be helpful.

Very kindest regards....
Old 05-19-2020, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Gold over black comparison

Just sprayed two bare jigs with gloss black then when dry over sprayed them with two different gold metallic. Valspar and Kryon. Both are brighter than this picture shows.

Valspar for the win, but the Kryon over a fresh shiny non painted jig still appears to be the best. See the original post above.

Pooch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gold over black comparison.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	318618  

Old 05-20-2020, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
Saw this paint in a local bog box. Sprayed a unpainted lead head jig. Doesn't look too bad. Might look better sprayed over a white base.

Won't hold up as well as real chromed gold though.

GP
When time permits, I'm to try "cooking" a few of the above to see if I can harden the finish. Though experience has taught me that the fish really don't care about a "nice" finish. Even a beat to death nearly bare lead jig that started out as plated gold will still catch fish. Seems that all it takes is some gold somewhere on the jig head that fish find "interesting". It's all about illusion and trickery to catch fish.

One more thing..... A person could repaint the jigs that do eventually lose their coloring, though most seldom make it to "old age" before being donated to the lake Gods.

Pooch

Last edited by Pooch; 05-20-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
When time permits, I'm to try "cooking" a few of the above to see if I can harden the finish. Though experience has taught me that the fish really don't care about a "nice" finish. Even a beat to death nearly bare lead jig that started out as plated gold will still catch fish. Seems that all it takes is some gold somewhere on the jig head that fish find "interesting". It's all about illusion and trickery to catch fish.

One more thing..... A person could repaint the jigs that do eventually lose their coloring, though most seldom make it to "old age" before being donated to the lake Gods.

Pooch
Chances are it will just scorch the paint. It might work, but would probably have to be done on a pretty low temperature. Special resins are used in those gold and fake chrome paints to get the "leafing effect", where all the particles float to the surface and interlock like a jigsaw puzzle into what appears to be one uniform film like plating. Those resins are terrible for heat resistance, chalking, and yellowing. There are some powder coatings that give the same plated effect and are a bit more durable. Prizmatic has a nice selection of gold powders.

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/sho...olor=pris_gold